Why become a member? ×

wizard pickups - Retirement.

lojo

[quote name='bassmachine2112' timestamp='1402213828' post='2470952']
Love my thumper,was playing it last night-what a sound.
Marvelous
[/quote]

I've got 64s and 84s in my 2 J basses (fretless and fretted, respectively). Was playing them yesterday and reminding myself again just how great these pickups are - particularly the 84s. I was always tempted to stick a Thumper in my P bass, but went with a 62 RI instead. Very tempted to pick one up when this pickup phoenix eventually rises...

[quote name='Panamonte' timestamp='1402215886' post='2470966']
I've got 64s and 84s in my 2 J basses (fretless and fretted, respectively). Was playing them yesterday and reminding myself again just how great these pickups are - particularly the 84s. I was always tempted to stick a Thumper in my P bass, but went with a 62 RI instead. Very tempted to pick one up when this pickup phoenix eventually rises...
[/quote]

will you be at south east bass bash at all? :)

i have a J with hammers - would be interesting to compare the three

[quote name='Panamonte' timestamp='1402216304' post='2470974']
Sounds like a great idea. When and where is this happening?
[/quote]

1st november apparently [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/237220-se-bass-bash-this-year/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/237220-se-bass-bash-this-year/[/url]

• 3 weeks later...

[color=#000000][font=Arial, Verdana][size=3]Lots of photos and lovely comments on our Facebook page about the launch, as well as some beautiful Eternal guitars and basses, please check out :)[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Arial, Verdana][size=3]
https://www.facebook.com/hotrodguitarparts?ref=hl&ref_type=bookmark[/size][/font][/color]
Also the site is now live![/size][/font][/color]
www.hot-rodpickups.com[/size][/font][/color]
PS: Sorry the names not Rod, and its a long time since I was considered hot :)[/size][/font][/color]

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Hot Rod (Wizard) Pickups' timestamp='1405076518' post='2498564']
Please check out our first of many bass pickup demos to come:

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GauV3Y2HpiE&feature=youtu.be"]https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be[/url]

[/quote]

The title says 64s, but the video states 84s... which is it? :blink:

• 4 months later...

Hi Guys, Sorry for the radio silence, We have been extremely busy and I have been welcoming a new baby daughter to the Hot Rod family :) Below is a quick comparison demo of our Thumper P Bass set by session ace Don Richardson, He describes them as "Its like having a blanket lifted off of my amp", Love to know what you guys think:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjzgCdNLLlw

Sounds like he put a new set of strings on! Bass seems to have lost a bit of mid-range "authority" to my ears. It sounds more "modern" and "hi-fi" with the Thumpers IMO. Neither of which are sounds that I associate with a P bass!

To me they seem to lose some mids, and increase clarity on top and bottom end. My 78 sounds a bit like this, wonder if these pickups are intended to sound more 70s (as another Basschatter mentioned that 70s Precisions seem to be more scooped than other models).

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1417621325' post='2622344']
Sounds like he put a new set of strings on! Bass seems to have lost a bit of mid-range "authority" to my ears. It sounds more "modern" and "hi-fi" with the Thumpers IMO. Neither of which are sounds that I associate with a P bass!
[/quote]

Looks like a new set of strings too. Black silks to no silk?

Like others have said, increased clarity of top and bottom end but the mid seems to have dropped out. The sound has gone in the wrong direction for me.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1417621488' post='2622347']
To me they seem to lose some mids, and increase clarity on top and bottom end. My 78 sounds a bit like this, wonder if these pickups are intended to sound more 70s (as another Basschatter mentioned that 70s Precisions seem to be more scooped than other models).
[/quote]
Dave did recommend the thumper to me as I was after a 70s p bass sound so you're probably right

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1417641187' post='2622639']
Dave did recommend the thumper to me as I was after a 70s p bass sound so you're probably right
[/quote]

That`s great to hear, thanks, just ordered myself one for my backup bass, make it sound more like my main one.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1417910188' post='2625124']

That`s great to hear, thanks, just ordered myself one for my backup bass, make it sound more like my main one.
[/quote]
Yes I intend to get one when funds allow. He did however note that ash bodies would affect the sound slightly too.
I gave him a sound example of a 73 sunburst P

[quote name='Hot Rod (Wizard) Pickups' timestamp='1417619089' post='2622302']
Hi Guys, Sorry for the radio silence, We have been extremely busy and I have been welcoming a new baby daughter to the Hot Rod family :) Below is a quick comparison demo of our Thumper P Bass set by session ace Don Richardson, He describes them as "Its like having a blanket lifted off of my amp", Love to know what you guys think:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjzgCdNLLlw
[/quote]

Can you confirm if the strings were changed, too? And from what to what? That'd make a big difference to the sound.

Hi Guys
Will check on the string change, but a full set up was carried out when the pickup was fitted, so I would assume yes. The clip was filmed in September, I spoke with Don last week he is still using this as his main instrument on his current show and loving it. The bass was actually a good quality early 90s Jap Fender so we felt that this was more of an exercise in comparison than trying to "better" the stock pickups. Thanks for all the comments feedback is genuinely appreciated.
Jon