Why become a member? ×

Jaydee Mark King supernatural bass wanted

Dazzler

Keep an eye on the For Sale section on Basschat . They are not all that uncommon , but be aware that , at the height of their popularity in the mid-1980's , the manufacturing quality of some of JD's basses went a bit awry , as John would admit himself . Ideally , you would want a fairly early ( pre '83 /84?) or fairly late (post '88ish) example to have a better chance of getting a good one , on the whole .

[quote name='Dazzler' timestamp='1376750120' post='2178682']
Thanks dingus, yeh heard a bad batch of wood knocking about in the mid 80s and a problem with the truss rod's. But I will have a look at any available. Wanted one for 30 years finally got the cash and can't find one! cheers
[/quote]

Just try and be a little bit patient and I'm sure one will turn up . I wouldn't be surprised if someone on Basschat reads your post and decides that they would be prepared to sell you theirs . There are quite a few of them in circulation due to the fact that they were very popular basses back in the 1980's when Mark King was so high - profile . The problems with the quality were mainly due to John having to take on help to try and cope with the overwhelming Worldwide demand for his basses at that time . John Diggins made me a bass in the late 1980's when he had gone back to building by himself and he was much happier working that way , and the bass was absolutely perfect in every respect and never had any issues whatsoever in all the time I owned it . JD is a lovely chap and one of the best builders and repairmen in the country , bar none .

Thanks Dudi, Most wonderful creation of all time Dingus, tried an Alembic or two along the way which allegedly influenced JD for me they don't come close in playability the Jaydee wins hands down. Still searching lads and lasses keep the ideas coming cheers.

I suggest you keep an eye on the Status site Statii as it tends to draw Mark King fans and consequently interest in all of Mark's basses including JDs, GBs and the like. I hope BC won't mind me posting the link to their non-Status 'for sale' thread...

http://www.statii.com/forum/forum/viewforum.php?forum_id=25

[quote name='Dazzler' timestamp='1376750120' post='2178682']
Thanks dingus, yeh heard a bad batch of wood knocking about in the mid 80s and a problem with the truss rod's. But I will have a look at any available. Wanted one for 30 years finally got the cash and can't find one! cheers
[/quote]
I have the T-shirt....I bought a brand new Jaydee Supernatural in the mid 80's and it was the ultimate dog. Truss rod didn't work and the neck had a terminal back bow to rival Robin Hoods weapon of choice. To make it worse I had included my beloved Wal as part of the deal....what a putz!

I'm not one for bearing grudges - but I will never ever forgive John Diggins, and would not buy a plectrum from him.

Rant over.

[quote name='Dazzler' timestamp='1376759893' post='2178824']
Thanks Visog will check it out, Unlucky White Cloud would John Diggins not replace the defective part's? never heard a bad word said about the man until now, would of thought he would of recalled the bad lot and sorted the problem.
[/quote]
The jaydee was the most beautiful bass I had ever seen...I was young and in love. Things went sour quickly and I eventually took it back to the shop where I bought it and we agreed upon a straight swap for a fretless Ibanez Musician - which turned out to be a lovely totally reliable beast.

I believe that the Jaydee eventually required a new neck.

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1376760227' post='2178829']
The jaydee was the most beautiful bass I had ever seen...I was young and in love. Things went sour quickly and I eventually took it back to the shop where I bought it and we agreed upon a straight swap for a fretless Ibanez Musician - which turned out to be a lovely totally reliable beast.

I believe that the Jaydee eventually required a new neck.
[/quote]

Wow , we could be bass twins separated at birth ! Funnily enough , I went shopping for my first expensive bass in the mid -1980's , nearly bought a Jaydee Roadie 2 A. they had in the shop , which was also the most beautiful thing I had ever layed my eyes on up to that point , but had to settle for an Ibanez Musician Bass as I couldn't quite stretch my money to the J.D . In retrospect , that probably turned out to be a lucky escape .As I recall , by 1985[u] [i]a lot [/i][/u]of J.D basses were developing "issues " of one kind or another , so much so that even in the age before the internet ect , it very soon became common knowledge amongst players at the time that something was amiss . The necks were too skinny in profile and were made out of walnut , which wasn't hard enough to resist bending . Add to that dodgy truss rods and you have got a recipe for disaster . I also recall a bad batch of thinners used in the laquer caused a number of basses to have finish problems , if I remember correctly . With that knowledge , my custon J.D had a neck made from laminated rock maple with walnut stringers ( instead of the other way round, as it was on the older JD's ) , with a more substantial neck profile and graphite reinforcement . Thankfully , it stayed stable the whole time I had it .

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1376761572' post='2178857']
Wow , we could be bass twins separated at birth ! Funnily enough , I went shopping for my first expensive bass in the mid -1980's , nearly bought a Jaydee Roadie 2 A. they had in the shop , which was also the most beautiful thing I had ever layed my eyes on up to that point , but had to settle for an Ibanez Musician Bass as I couldn't quite stretch my money to the J.D . In retrospect , that probably turned out to be a lucky escape .As I recall , by 1985[u] [i]a lot [/i][/u]of J.D basses were developing "issues " of one kind or another , so much so that even in the age before the internet ect , it very soon became common knowledge amongst players at the time that something was amiss . The necks were too skinny in profile and were made out of walnut , which wasn't hard enough to resist bending . Add to that dodgy truss rods and you have got a recipe for disaster . I also recall a bad batch of thinners used in the laquer caused a number of basses to have finish problems , if I remember correctly . With that knowledge , my custon J.D had a neck made from laminated rock maple with walnut stringers ( instead of the other way round, as it was on the older JD's ) , with a more substantial neck profile and graphite reinforcement . Thankfully , it stayed stable the whole time I had it .
[/quote]
Wow...small world indeed!

If I recall correctly I am sure that I actually shed tears over that Jaydee....I was young and not quite as hard as I am now :rolleyes:

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1376765815' post='2178924']
Wow...small world indeed!

If I recall correctly I am sure that I actually shed tears over that Jaydee....I was young and not quite as hard as I am now :rolleyes:
[/quote]

I am genuinely sorry to hear that , and I can relate to that kind of upset over a bass . Nowadays I take such dissappointments as being par for the course with this game , but that is a luxury afforded by a greater degree of affluence compared to back in those days when getting a new bass was a [u][i]very [/i][/u]special event , My Musician Bass had a slight electronic shielding issue , from what I remember , and I always felt like the transition from playing on the A string from playing on the E was wrong somehow . I suppose you learn from experience , and unfortunately it tends to be bitter experience .

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1376766965' post='2178945']
I am genuinely sorry to hear that , and I can relate to that kind of upset over a bass . Nowadays I take such dissappointments as being par for the course with this game , but that is a luxury afforded by a greater degree of affluence compared to back in those days when getting a new bass was a [u][i]very [/i][/u]special event , My Musician Bass had a slight electronic shielding issue , from what I remember , and I always felt like the transition from playing on the A string from playing on the E was wrong somehow . I suppose you learn from experience , and unfortunately it tends to be bitter experience .
[/quote]
Very true.

I don't really get too excited over materialistic things nowadays...acquisition only guarantee's a short term high. Some of the most expensive basses I have owned have also been the most disappointing.

I will say though...the Jaydee MK's are one of the most attractive bass designs ever (in my eyes). Good luck to the OP in his quest. It's horses for courses.

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1376769259' post='2178998']

I don't really get too excited over materialistic things nowadays...acquisition only guarantee's a short term high. Some of the most expensive basses I have owned have also been the most disappointing.

I will say though...the Jaydee MK's are one of the most attractive bass designs ever (in my eyes). Good luck to the OP in his quest. It's horses for courses.
[/quote]

JD's are without doubt beautiful bases , and I would join with you in wishing the O.P the best of luck in finding a good example . If it's any help on that score , the Mark 2 Jaydee body style with the " funk groove " cutout in the body between the neck pickup and the end of the fingerboard was the predominant design J.D were producing at the time of the dodgy era , so any bass in that style I would be extra - cautious about .

To digress for a moment , you are absolutely right about looking for happiness in material things being a fruitless pusuit , and I can enjoy playing a good inexpensive bass just as much as any expensive one.. What's more , nowadays the differences between the two are getting to be less , on the whole .

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1376770294' post='2179012']
JD's are without doubt beautiful bases , and I would join with you in wishing the O.P the best of luck in finding a good example . If it's any help on that score , the Mark 2 Jaydee body style with the " funk groove " cutout in the body between the neck pickup and the end of the fingerboard was the predominant design J.D were producing at the time of the dodgy era , so any bass in that style I would be extra - cautious about .

To digress for a moment , you are absolutely right about looking for happiness in material things being a fruitless pusuit , and I can enjoy playing a good inexpensive bass just as much as any expensive one.. What's more , nowadays the differences between the two are getting to be less , on the whole .
[/quote]
This is wisdom!

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1376770294' post='2179012']

[/quote]

Loving the buddhist principles chaps happiness lies in the heart and soul for sure & cheers for the support in my quest. Wanted one of these basses for that long it is a proper love story! I haven't picked a bass up for over 10 years, family and life took over, so probably don't deserve one but I just know it will inspire me to get slap happy again. I have an old squier Jazz bass that somebody borrowed 10 years ago and yet to bring it back! I must go and retrieve it soon.

[quote name='Dazzler' timestamp='1376779205' post='2179132']
Loving the buddhist principles chaps happiness lies in the heart and soul for sure & cheers for the support in my quest. Wanted one of these basses for that long it is a proper love story! I haven't picked a bass up for over 10 years, family and life took over, so probably don't deserve one but I just know it will inspire me to get slap happy again. I have an old squier Jazz bass that somebody borrowed 10 years ago and yet to bring it back! I must go and retrieve it soon.
[/quote]
Good luck dude. Love Blackpool btw (warts n all).

Thanks again Whitecloud bassists are a decent lot not like them crazy drummers!! Sunny Blackpool is on the up millions spent recently on the prom and tower and we now have a waxworks where they actually look like the celeb's they depict! We have even had sunshine this year!

Dazzler, you're in my neck of the woods so well probably bump into each other a some point, assuming we haven't already. :)

FWIW I've owned 2 Jaydees (played loads of others); the first was a Supernatural with Saturn inlays and tailpiece etc in butterscotch; the neck (maple with walnut IIRC) had been shaved and struggled with any strings over 35s. It tended to be fairly unstable. The second was funk-grooved in white and had a blinding mahog/walnut neck; great bass, but unfortunately far too heavy for my by then bad back so ended up going back to the shop after only a week.

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1377285530' post='2185928']
Well done...enjoy it!
[/quote]

Cheers White Cloud I'm over the moon, a 2010 model none of them there problems from the mid 80's, Marcus I will post pics soon but a little clue, you have seen pics of it before your comment was - [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Phwoar lovely example! [/font][/color] :) so I know you will like it!!! My fellow North Western are you in sunny Blackpool to?? cheers for all the comments guys and dolls I am the happiest man on the planet right now, Truly unbelievable machine of striking beauty no picture can do it justice took my breath away when it was unveiled but will post some pics soon.