Why become a member? ×

August/September Mix Competition - Kit Richardson's You Look So Good Tonight

51m0n

I haven't had a chance to listen to the vocal tracks yet, but I'm sure they are lovely. I'll maybe have to rethink my mix a bit, because I don't like too much going on in my mix (probably because I can't make them all work well together). This could be interesting! Looking forward to hearing what you have all done and hearing what you think of my mix too! I appreciate the critique very much :)

• 4 weeks later...

Deadline is Monday 23rd September.

Not surprised if anyone has struggled with this, it is a veryu very busy piece of music when you stack up the BVs.

Am surprised at how little talk there has been on this thread though.....

You dont really need to master it, other than maybe a few 2buss eq tweaks, and the tiniest bit of glue, remember we are after a nice k12 level here, so any limiting is just going to lose you punch and overall level compared to everyone elses (because k14 measures average volume, and a compressor or limiter will effectively raise that, k14 will require you to turn it back down).

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1379429721' post='2212590']Deadline is Monday 23rd September.[/quote]

Any other month and I'd have been up for this one, but sadly I've had no time at all for anything musical since the start of September :(

Just emerging from a crazy spell at work (and currently house-hunting when not working), and won't have chance to do this any real justice over the weekend, so I'm going to have to pass on it. Shame but can't be helped. Although I might revisit the stems in future for a remix or something...

Nevertheless I'm looking forward to hearing how everyone has gone on with it.

I am just about done , I have tried to listen to mine on other systems this time but it has been really doing my head in.
I don't think I am quite ready for that step yet , as it is only adding a least 2 other levels of confusion , so once I have done a touch more automation for a couple of tracks I will be uploading .
I noticed on my September track that soundcloud seemed to compress and smiley EQ my entry , would this happen twice if I loaded it for Si and then when he loaded it again ? This might affect the way I present it in the first instance IYSWIM

If I don't get time to sort out a couple of levels then I'll send you what I've done. Really just the electronic vocal thing. I like it, but the 2nd run is a little loud against the acapella.
My fave part is setting things across the stereo field. Arranging the vocalists into groups was fun. :)

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1379447738' post='2212901']
I noticed on my September track that soundcloud seemed to compress and smiley EQ my entry , would this happen twice if I loaded it for Si and then when he loaded it again ? This might affect the way I present it in the first instance IYSWIM
[/quote]

[size=3][color=#222222][font=Arial]Soundcloud has a download function so as long as you have your tracks set to download then Si (and others when all the mix files are released) can download the original WAV files. Any compression applied by the online soundcloud player wont be heard on downloaded files, as I understand it. [/font][/color]

[color=#222222][font=Arial]I haven’t been involved with these yet and really wanted to do this month but I have been busy with other stuff unfortunately :([/font][/color][/size]

Edited by TenLetters

[quote name='TenLetters' timestamp='1379503673' post='2213380']
[size=3][color=#222222][font=Arial]Soundcloud has a download function so as long as you have your tracks set to download then Si (and others when all the mix files are released) can download the original WAV files. Any compression applied by the online soundcloud player wont be heard on downloaded files, as I understand it. [/font][/color][/size]

[/quote]

OK thanks , that makes sense.

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1379514057' post='2213561']Chaps if there is a real desire we could add another few weeks to this.....[/quote]

That's a kind offer mate but don't hang on for me... I'd need something like another month to get this one done properly - and that's obviously not fair on everyone who made the deadline.

What time I do have for music at the moment is being spent working on stuff with Mike Flynn (which will be ultimately be coming your way at some point in future ;)). Although I did manage to throw something together for the composition competition yesterday afternoon - in record time for me!

But anyway, I'm rambling. Short story is go ahead with it as planned. I look forward to hearing everyone's entries.