Why become a member? ×

starfish urb

defcom

[attachment=141416:20130808_1615251.jpg][attachment=141416:20130808_1615251.jpg]
hi all new to forum , ive just got this my first urb,was wondering what is the normal action for upright were this seems to be 10mm at the bottom of the fingerboard ,and where can i buy a set of 5 strings?
and does any know anything about theses basses ive search on the net but cant find much about them. thx

Never seen one before. 10mm under the E at the end of the fingerboard is pretty normal for a double bass. It may be a couple of mm lower for the G.

As for 5-string sets, Thomann certainly do them, or you can buy individual C strings from most places that sell double bass strings (assuming the manufacturer makes a C string).

I am an noob to DB defcom and I am glad I didnt try and lower the action too much on my Stagg (which is easy enough to do), My DB is a bit higher and with a bit more tension too (or compliance blah blah), switching to the Stagg feels easy now after a few months on the DB so stick with it and see how you get on, you could lower it nearer to 8mm maybe if you are still in trouble but a full on DB will be a devil IMO if you go much lower, I might even raise my Stagg action which 6 months ago I would not have beleived! Good luck and you do realise you will end up with a DB with a year dont you? :D

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1376349542' post='2172778']
Click on the photo, it will open in an enlarged view - the bass definitely has 5 strings and 5 tuners, so I imagine it's a low B that's needed here, not a low C ;)

PS Welcome, defcom!
[/quote]

Low B or a high C, personally I'd rather have the high C.

As for action, that seems about right, if it doesn't have an adjustable bridge then I leave it.

[quote name='Maude' timestamp='1376414795' post='2173653']
Low B or a high C, personally I'd rather have the high C.
[/quote]

I think that what we were talking about here was the C extension that can be added to a (4-string) double bass, to reach the low C, not about a high C string. Or did I get the wrong end of the stick? :unsure:

[quote name='redd' timestamp='1376414871' post='2173654']
That's an amazing looking bass dude! What is it?
[/quote] its a starfish seen it on gumtree and got it,
the craftmenship is the best ive seen its like a work of art.
they stop making them, to time cosuming ,
i think they only made 7 heres link to there site
http://www.starfishdesigns.co.uk/

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1376415048' post='2173656']
I think that what we were talking about here was the C extension that can be added to a (4-string) double bass, to reach the low C, not about a high C string. Or did I get the wrong end of the stick? :unsure:
[/quote]

In all honesty, I've no idea, I just assumed he meant a high C, but I assume lots and I'm also wrong lots :D .

It does look cool though B)