Why become a member? ×

Bass Tone Research

NikolasGomes

Hi Guys.
I'm Brazilian and i'm music student at Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul.
I'm doing a research and writing a paper for my graduate and i need your help.

Need several answers in this questionnaire hosted on my particular site.

Can you answer the follow questionnaire, please?

Thank You All for the patience and keep grooving everybody.

[url="http://nikolasgomes.com.br/pesquisadetimbres/toneresearch/"]http://nikolasgomes....s/toneresearch/[/url]

P.S.: The audios were all recorded by me with my 4 different brazilian basses.

Any doubt, you could e-mail me or ask right here, I will not forsake the thread.

Edited by NikolasGomes

I didn't really understand the first question: "[color=#444444]which of the four audios you drew more attention" - the obvious choice here is 'a' because of the flange / chorus effect gives it an upper mid that makes it sound more lively. I took it to mean "which sound would you play with". Hope that's right. [/color]

[quote name='NikolasGomes' timestamp='1376596649' post='2176711']
And up for more answers!
[/quote]

I'd love to help, Nikolas, but:
- I lack the technical gear that your test requires (good sound)
- To me as a foreign English speaker, your foreign English sadly is undecipherable. I have no idea what you want me to do, and what you are asking for. Sorry man. Thought it better to let you know than to leave you in the cold, even if this is unpleasant.

Good luck!

best,
bert

I took it to mean 'which version pleased most', and answered accordingly. I'm not sure it matters too much, as long as one identifies that same version in the 4 following 'mash-ups'. Could you post the results, please, when your research is over..?

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1376605081' post='2176865']...I have no idea what you want me to do...[/quote]

I'll try to answer that; the OP can correct if necessary...

Listen to the first track (it's short...) and indicate which version sounded best.

Listen in turn to the next 4 tracks (the same, but played in a different order...), and indicate which was the same as the version chosen.

The idea seems to be to see if one can identify the same sounding version each time, whatever the order they're played in.

Hope this helps...

That's it, I think.

[quote name='dougal' timestamp='1376603612' post='2176853']
I didn't really understand the first question: "[color=#444444]which of the four audios you drew more attention" - the obvious choice here is 'a' because of the flange / chorus effect gives it an upper mid that makes it sound more lively. I took it to mean "which sound would you play with". Hope that's right. [/color]
[/quote]
There is no FX in any bass. All of them are recorded clean and flat, no compression, no nothing
and the "[color=#444444]which of the four audios you drew more attention" means exactly that.[/color]
[color=#444444]Someone may think the C choice is a ugly bass sound, and them try to find the C choice on the other audios.[/color] Don't matter to the research what you think of my bass sounds, and everything that is on the audio is purposeful.

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1376605081' post='2176865']
I'd love to help, Nikolas, but:
- I lack the technical gear that your test requires (good sound)
- To me as a foreign English speaker, your foreign English sadly is undecipherable. I have no idea what you want me to do, and what you are asking for. Sorry man. Thought it better to let you know than to leave you in the cold, even if this is unpleasant.

Good luck!

best,
bert
[/quote]

If you have a simple earphone from a mp3 player, you could do the test. And thank you for the English warning, I will fix this soon as possible.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1376605413' post='2176869']
[b]The idea seems to be to see if one can identify the same sounding version each time, whatever the order they're played in.[/b]

[/quote]
Exactly!!!!! Thank you for your help!!!

and one more time, sorry for my awful english =D