Why become a member? ×

Thunderbird Fret Buzz

Samashton12

Hey Guys,

Ever since i got my Thunderbird in December its buzzed from the 1st to 5th fret, the action is perfect, but the bridge and bridge pickup are pretty high

It never really used to bother me but after playing my friends Tokai i envy the non-buzz on his lower frets :angry:

Any details on how to rectify this?

I'm new to the whole set up thing,

Thanks,
Sam :)

No disrespect intended whatsoever, but if you're getting fret buzz from the 1st - 5th fret then the action can't be perfect. It sounds to me like you might have a slight back bow in the neck (may have been over adjusted at some point in the past) and the action at the bridge has been raised to compensate (hence the high pickup). If you're new to setting up my advice is the same - take it to a local luthier or shop and pay them to do it for you. Should be 30 or 40 quid and worth every penny IMO. Have a look in the Recommended Luthiers thread... there has to be one in Liverpool.

P

[quote name='Samashton12' timestamp='1375703391' post='2164409']
Hey Guys,

Ever since i got my Thunderbird in December its buzzed from the 1st to 5th fret, the action is perfect, but the bridge and bridge pickup are pretty high

It never really used to bother me but after playing my friends Tokai i envy the non-buzz on his lower frets :angry:

Any details on how to rectify this?

I'm new to the whole set up thing,

Thanks,
Sam :)
[/quote]

Sounds like you need more relief in the neck. This means you need to slacken off the truss rod. Carefully.

[quote name='Samashton12' timestamp='1375800337' post='2165808']
Tiny turn in which direction, neepheid? :)
[/quote]

Left (anti-clockwise) to loosen - adds relief (effectively - it actually allows the string tension to pull more relief into the neck)
Right (clockwise) to tighten - reduces relief

Try a quarter turn at a time, although your situation sounds like it'll need more than that. Make the turn, tune up and then check the relief by fretting the E string at the first fret and pressing it down at the last fret. You should observe a tiny gap between the top of the frets and the string in the middle of the neck around fret 9 or so. If there's no gap, there's more loosening to do. Gap doesn't need to be big, as long as there is one because strings need room to vibrate.

Loosening is the less dangerous way to go. You go too far then all that will happen is you'll end up with too much relief. Tighten too much and well, you can guess what's going to happen.

Once you adjust this you may find you will be able to (or indeed have to) lower your bridge to achieve the same action as before.