Why become a member? ×

DI or not?

john_the_bass

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='216675' date='Jun 11 2008, 10:18 AM']:huh:
[url="http://www.myspace.com/27brigade"]This[/url] is my band.[/quote]
I thought your name was John? How come the bassist is called Eric Jones then? Is there something they haven't told you?

:) :huh: :huh:

I have, am facing a similar dilema. I am seriously considering the MB 2x10 combo and squeezing a knacker through our 1.5 powermate rig. I could always use my ashdown 4x10 as an extension cab, or possibly get a lightweight 15 at some stage. the band I play in on the whole have been together for over 20 years. We all arrive in a big red van and then depart in it. Some gigs I never touch my bass stuff till its on stage. I usually end up with the lights and the pa.

I would miss a rig personally, it will defiatelt depend on the state of the monitors and the guy mixing them. Good Luck!

Fudge is on about knackers (?! :))
The gig was pap - well, we played alright actually and the sound was very good, but typically there was no-one there, which I think says a lot about Leicester, that signed bands can't draw a crowd.
I took my rig in the end and ummed and aahed about bringing it in, but I did anyway (I then staggered back to the car park with it afterwards) and I daresay it made a difference to the sound.
Post set, the next band (all looked about 16 and brought their own, [i]drunk[/i]. 16 year old roadie) approached me and said, "er..do you have spare bass amp" - well I don't carry spares of things like amps, so I said "no". "err do you have an amp we can use?" and so I did the nice thing and let them use my rig. It f*cks me right off and this is probably why I hate doing these gigs because people never make prior contact (for the record, I emailed both bands on the bill to say, "may I borrow your rig if it's not too much trouble?" and got a response of "Oh, we've split up and we're not coming so can you tell the venue?" and didn't get a response from the other band (who then asked to borrow my rig) to see if they can use your gear. It kind of makes me not bothered about doing any of these gigs for a while, but also the thoughts I had re the band were along the lines that it's too good to kill it and I'd like to have a break from it, but I'd like to come back to it at the end of the summer - possibly with a slightly different line up.

I also realised that I'd left the DI box in the footwell of my car (currently being used by Mrs John the bass) and I was using her car - so I couldn't have brought my DI if I'd wanted to!!

Oh yeah, and another thing. I occassionally supply a guitar amp for my guitarist because his knackered 70s Carlsbro Stingray should have been chucked in the canal years ago. If I brought my laney combo, he'd have spent all evening fiddling with the knobs so I thought, "right, no knobs for you my friend" (that sounds weird, anyway) and stuffed my epiphone valve junior - 5w! - in the car with a 112 cab. I'm guessing the head runs the full 5w at 4 ohm and I'd run it into an 8 ohm cab, so probably 3w tops. It's got one knob - volume - and didn't even have to run flat out. Everybody should have one of these. It sounds mad through a 410.

Edited by john_the_bass

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='217359' date='Jun 12 2008, 08:33 AM']Fudge is on about knackers (?! :huh:)
The gig was pap - well, we played alright actually and the sound was very good, but typically there was no-one there, which I think says a lot about Leicester, that signed bands can't draw a crowd.
I took my rig in the end and ummed and aahed about bringing it in, but I did anyway (I then staggered back to the car park with it afterwards) and I daresay it made a difference to the sound.
Post set, the next band (all looked about 16 and brought their own, [i]drunk[/i]. 16 year old roadie) approached me and said, "er..do you have spare bass amp" - well I don't carry spares of things like amps, so I said "no". "err do you have an amp we can use?" and so I did the nice thing and let them use my rig. It f*cks me right off and this is probably why I hate doing these gigs because people never make prior contact (for the record, I emailed both bands on the bill to say, "may I borrow your rig if it's not too much trouble?" and got a response of "Oh, we've split up and we're not coming so can you tell the venue?" and didn't get a response from the other band (who then asked to borrow my rig) to see if they can use your gear. It kind of makes me not bothered about doing any of these gigs for a while, but also the thoughts I had re the band were along the lines that it's too good to kill it and I'd like to have a break from it, but I'd like to come back to it at the end of the summer - possibly with a slightly different line up.

I also realised that I'd left the DI box in the footwell of my car (currently being used by Mrs John the bass) and I was using her car - so I couldn't have brought my DI if I'd wanted to!!

Oh yeah, and another thing. I occassionally supply a guitar amp for my guitarist because his knackered 70s Carlsbro Stingray should have been chucked in the canal years ago. If I brought my laney combo, he'd have spent all evening fiddling with the knobs so I thought, "right, no knobs for you my friend" (that sounds weird, anyway) and stuffed my epiphone valve junior - 5w! - in the car with a 112 cab. I'm guessing the head runs the full 5w at 4 ohm and I'd run it into an 8 ohm cab, so probably 3w tops. It's got one knob - volume - and didn't even have to run flat out. Everybody should have one of these. It sounds mad through a 410.[/quote]

The epi amps are awesome but you can buy them under the brand Granger for a lot less money for exactly the same amp with a different tag on the front.

[url="http://www.legacymusicalinstruments.com/mediaLibrary/images/english/8035.jpg"]http://www.legacymusicalinstruments.com/me...nglish/8035.jpg[/url]

[url="http://www.soundcontrol.co.uk/images/img_prod/large/large_1.1.1.3.1.1-216-18002.jpg"]http://www.soundcontrol.co.uk/images/img_p...1-216-18002.jpg[/url]

Your story reminded me of a gig i did a few years back, it was on week night so didn't fancy going home after work and picking up my rig so i emailed the band we were playing with and asked to borrow his amp, he replied saying he had a £3000 Ampeg rig and didn't want to lend it out fair enough.

Anyway i went home lugged my Ashdown 4X10 to my car on my own :) drove to the gig, when i got there the other band were loading there gear in first of all 6 Marshall 4X12's then 3 Marshall TSL100's then 8 guitar cases (This is for 2 guitarists) after the huge drum kit goes through the doors the bass player comes up and says "there wasn't enough room for my bass amp can i borrow yours?"

I'll let you guess my response i'll give you a clue it involved the word 'off'.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='217370' date='Jun 12 2008, 08:57 AM']The epi amps are awesome but you can buy them under the brand Granger for a lot less money for exactly the same amp with a different tag on the front.[/quote]
Thanks mate! I've already got mine!!
Actually, whilst the Grainger stuff looks identical, I am under the assumption that they must have a different QC process as I'd read quite a lot of dissatisified comments about them, but that may be proportional to the numbers sold.

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='217418' date='Jun 12 2008, 09:50 AM']Thanks mate! I've already got mine!!
Actually, whilst the Grainger stuff looks identical, I am under the assumption that they must have a different QC process as I'd read quite a lot of dissatisified comments about them, but that may be proportional to the numbers sold.[/quote]

To be honest i've only ever played with the Granger and that was for 5 minutes, we played with a Rock-o-billy band a few months back and he had a Granger and i was like WTF is that (thinking it would be pricey ) he tld me how cheap he got it and i instantly became a fan

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='217431' date='Jun 12 2008, 10:00 AM']It's a good amp for the price. I think my head came from thomann and cost about 89 quid or something and I bought me dad the combo when it first came out (long before the Grainger/Harley Benton copies) and that was only a 1er[/quote]

It's a ridiculous amount of amp for the money.

What is your bass rig?

ABM300 EVO-II (or whatever the long name of it is) and an ABM Mini 15 - I bought it cos I could carry the pair in one trip for the fast exits based on the reason of this thread, but I carry it out to the car after last night's gig - about 1/4 of a mile to the carpark, I had to change hands three times - it's still a heavy bugger.

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='217448' date='Jun 12 2008, 10:12 AM']ABM300 EVO-II (or whatever the long name of it is) and an ABM Mini 15 - I bought it cos I could carry the pair in one trip for the fast exits based on the reason of this thread, but I carry it out to the car after last night's gig - about 1/4 of a mile to the carpark, I had to change hands three times - it's still a heavy bugger.[/quote]

I hear that i have to get my Ashdown 4 X 10 out of a basement everytime i want to use it :) the worst handles

I don't know about yours but mine has the worst handles in the world they cut into the back of your hands.

Can't wait to get a trace cab.