Why become a member? ×

Bass Guitar Lead

soundbass

How important is a bass guitar lead aside from making sure that it sends a reliable signal to the Amp.

Do cables sound different in terms of changing the tone at all.

Is it worthwhile investing in an expensive bass guitar lead.

I have a cheap cable but it's proved to be reliable for a couple of years. I am needing to get another one as my spare is broken. I was thinking of getting a more expensive one this time but are they really worth it.

Can't say I've ever noticed any difference in tone with different cables.

That said, cheap cables are a false economy IME. I went through any number of cheapies when I was in my teens and then splashed out on some Whirlwinds at the end of the 80s.

I'm still using them now.

Edited by cybertect

Signal leads do make a difference to the sound, and the capacitance of a very long cable will cause some treble loss. However compared with all the other things in your signal chain the effect is normally so small small as to be negligible. And even more so in the context of a band mix.

So long as you get something good with Neutrik jacks and Van Damme (or similar) cable and you'll be fine. Basschat's very own [url=http://www.bassic-bits.co.uk]OBBM[/url] will make you excellent leads at an almost unbeatable price.

What BRX said.
Many will claim there is no difference. There is. Just get a load together and spend an afternoon with a mate plugging and unplugging and listening to hear the difference. It can be quite marked. In those circumstances.
However. In a live setting. Not a chance! Reliability is everything.
I own a range of cables including zaolla, monster bass, elixir, leem and several others. But these days for gigs I use OBBM cables, with neutrik connectors and klotz cabling. :)

Good quality doesn`t necessarily mean expensive. Our very own OBBM makes excellent cables at prices similar to those found in music shops for the not-so-good cables. Link to OBBMs site below.

When I got my first one it seemed to me that the bass and treble frequencies were clearer, rather like putting on a new set of strings, a less muffled sound. Would I hear it in the mix though? Possibly not, but for home use it does notice.

http://bassic-bits.co.uk/

[quote name='soundbass' timestamp='1375137098' post='2157268']...my spare is broken. I was thinking of getting a more expensive one this time...[/quote]

Good evening, Soundbass...

Don't get an expensive cable, get a good one (or two, while you're at it. Keep you current lead as a 'spare' spare or as a souvenir...).

Yes, another vote for OBBM cables. He made our cables (signal and speaker cables; top quality and built to last...) and sent them to France for a more than reasonable sum, and very, very quickly. Highly recommended.