Why become a member? ×

Hello from That London

cybertect

Hi all - thought I should introduce myself here.

I've been playing bass for about 25 years (eek!) though sometimes I still feel like I'm a rhythm guitarist masquerading as a bass player. The peril of being a teenager in bands put together from friends where where everyone is a guitar player is that *somebody* has to play bass and and drums :-)

With family commitments, I've scaled back my gigging to a few times a year in recent times rather than the sometimes several times a week that I used to do in my 20s. Amazingly I am still playing with a mate that I was at school with.

Main duties are carried out on a 1979 Musicman Sabre that I've owned for about 20 years, which seems to do just about anything I ever ask of it with aplomb. The other two instruments that come out to play on on occasion are a 1967 Hofner Verithin (it does bass feedback wonderfully when I need it and its a darn sight lighter than the MM) and an OLP MM3 5-string.

Modest amplification - I've had the same rig of a Marshall 3520 head and Gallien Krueger 210T cab for most of the last two decades. That said, the postman brought me a shiny and tiny GK MB500 this very morning!

When I'm not playing bass, I'm either at my day job messing with computers or indulging in my other long-standing passion, photography.

Pics of the kit and other stuff on my web site http://www.cybertects.co.uk/music

See you all round.

Rob

Edited by cybertect

Hey Rob,

Welcome, man, and thanks for the nice read.

I can relate to a lot of what you wrote, including the photography. Just that in my case, I'm about to give it up, as the bass requires my time. Just learned the other strings are meant to be tuned differently, so now I've suddenly gotten the A, the D and the G to relate to as well, making a total of four (4) different notes! A 300% jump! :o

Anyway, don't mind me, and enjoy the site!
There's some good lads and lasses around.

best,
bert (Al not Ro)

Edited by BassTractor

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1374709356' post='2152391']Just learned the other strings are meant to be tuned differently, so now I've suddenly gotten the A, the D and the G to relate to as well, making a total of four (4) different notes![/quote]

Oh. I wish someone had told me this before. I just tried it and those strange clicky-flappy noises on the Musicman went away.

But the 5th string on my 5-string is still second 'E', right? Like a 12-string guitar doubles up on notes?

;)

Thanks for the welcome.

[quote name='cybertect' timestamp='1374707166' post='2152372']
Hi all - thought I should introduce myself here.

I've been playing bass for about 25 years (eek!) though sometimes I still feel like I'm a rhythm guitarist masquerading as a bass player. The peril of being a teenager in bands put together from friends where where everyone is a guitar player is that *somebody* has to play bass and and drums :-)

Pics of the kit and other stuff on my web site [url="http://www.cybertects.co.uk/music"]http://www.cybertects.co.uk/music[/url]

See you all round.

Rob
[/quote]

:hi:
Hey Rob! Nice one.. and Welcome to BC! Funny old world, I'm a keyboard player - but now [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]masquerading as a bass player - for over 20-years. Similar story to you, [/font][/color]*somebody* had to play Bass, and that was me.......... :rolleyes:

Heheh.

10 Internet points for the person that guesses correctly which famous bass player my fizzog has been likened to (though I'm not sure he's ever been seen in a Ben Sherman shirt quite like that one) :)

[Img]http://www.summerislerecords.com/davidfisher/Images/12bar16aug02/12bar04.jpg" class="ipsImage" />

Edited by cybertect

[quote name='cybertect' timestamp='1375559644' post='2162964']
10 Internet points for the person that guesses correctly which famous bass player my fizzog has been likened to...
[size=4][/quote][/size]

[size=4]Is it Marcus Miller? It's Marcus Miller, isn't it? ...I bet it's Marcus Miller.[/size]