Why become a member? ×

Active circuit low output

steve-bbb

After doing a bit of a comparison yesterday i sort of inadvertently noticed that the output on my status matrix is actually below the output on both my squier passive J's (even the J with the nylon wounds is pumping out slightly more millivolts)

The bass is a status matrix #844 with twin J pups and the treble boost circuit (i think this is about the most basic circuit status have made?)
The pups are approx 4-5mm and 7-8 mm distance from string (as per recommendation on status website)
The strings are a reasonably new set of steel (red ends) rotosound swingbass
I have check the battery and it is showing 9.4v on the multimeter so still appears to be reasonably fresh
I have compared the output from jack socket with two passive J's and it is just marginally less than each of them?
The amp used for audio comparison was my Trace Boxer65 which has only one input and as far as im aware does not have anything as sophisticated as automatic sensitivity input adjustment

Is this routine for this bass? i did notice this weekend and before that i seemed to be lacking a bit of power and now realise i should have put the input into the passive input on my head rather than the active input if the bass output is this low

any suggestions or ideas much appreciated :)

My J-Retro preamp had a tiny control which adjusted the output higher or lower to suit your bass amp. Try opening it up and seeing if there's anyway to adjust the output on your preamp. If there is one It will probably be a tiny rotary control which you adjust with a small screwdriver.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1374491985' post='2149232']
My J-Retro preamp had a tiny control which adjusted the output higher or lower to suit your bass amp. Try opening it up and seeing if there's anyway to adjust the output on your preamp. If there is one It will probably be a tiny rotary control which you adjust with a small screwdriver.
[/quote]

nothing obvious - the underside of the pcb has three tabs which are soldered on to the pot so will prob need to unscrew the retaining nut on the front of the control

Hmm, had a quick look on the Status website (under Online Shop > Active Circuits) and they don't show one of these. The socket and Vol and Blend pots look original but it's possible it's got a replacement preamp. According to the website it possibly had a PS-1 originally, although maybe it's some kind of prototype that didn't make it into full production.

I'm slightly suspicious of that grey box on the volume pot, I'm guessing it might be a resistor to bring the levels down so it doesn't distort the preamp?

Might be worth asking Rob if it's one of his circuits and what he advises. Although I think the factory is going on it's summer break for a couple of weeks sometime around now.

[quote name='Fat Rich' timestamp='1374493076' post='2149245']
Hmm, had a quick look on the Status website (under Online Shop > Active Circuits) and they don't show one of these. The socket and Vol and Blend pots look original but it's possible it's got a replacement preamp. According to the website it possibly had a PS-1 originally, although maybe it's some kind of prototype that didn't make it into full production.

I'm slightly suspicious of that grey box on the volume pot, I'm guessing it might be a resistor to bring the levels down so it doesn't distort the preamp?

Might be worth asking Rob if it's one of his circuits and what he advises. Although I think the factory is going on it's summer break for a couple of weeks sometime around now.
[/quote]

thanks Rich i was looking on the website too - i was wondering if that little grey chip was a cap for the tone tho?? will ping them an email and see what they suggest

im expectiing they will suggest this was modded after the factory because the soldering on the pots aint none too pretty

might be time for a decent status board - or a j-east would be nice - wonder if they supply the board and pots without being fixed to the j plate??

Edited by steve-bbb

[quote name='Fat Rich' timestamp='1374493076' post='2149245']
[/quote]

Nope, that's a capacitor so I'm guessing that's the tone pot, not the volume pot.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1374869867' post='2154389']
Nope, that's a capacitor so I'm guessing that's the tone pot, not the volume pot.
[/quote]

Ah, um.... it's not my fault he posted the pictures upside down :huh: :blush: ;) :P Was expecting the active circuit to be fixed to the tone pot, not on the volume pot so got confused. :D

So the passive tone works with the active circuit? Seems a bit strange... have you tried taking the battery out and seeing if you still get an output? Maybe the circuit's been bypassed and isn't actually doing anything?

[quote name='Fat Rich' timestamp='1375293970' post='2159435']
So the passive tone works with the active circuit? Seems a bit strange... have you tried taking the battery out and seeing if you still get an output? Maybe the circuit's been bypassed and isn't actually doing anything?
[/quote]

Hi Rich I just got a reply from Rob they've all been on their summer hols

[i]Hi Steve,[/i]
[i]Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. The workshop has a summer break until Monday 5th August.[/i]

[i]The board is original but we only used it for a very short time. It is a simple hi / low impedance buffer rather than an active EQ.[/i]

[i]Best regards, Rob Green[/i]

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1374882530' post='2154535']
Active doesn't necessarily mean high output;. I have a couple of "passive" basses whose output level exceeds the average active bass.
[/quote]
[quote name='bumnote' timestamp='1374891472' post='2154563']
my active stingray has lower output than my passivw lakeland jo. im not sure that its anything to worry about
[/quote]

this would partly explain why i was perplexed that the guitars in my band seemed to be getting louder and louder - my head, as many others do, has two inputs one passive one active, i thought i had a problem with my head as when i used this matrix through the active input it lost all its oomph but now through trial and error i use this matrix through the passive input and all the power is back. conversely the output from the TRB is pretty big and that always goes in the active input (the fact that it eats 9v batteries too seems to be a bit of an indicator it has a much bigger output i guess

not worrying as such mr bumnote but is nice to become aware of these things rather than just assuming that everything does as it says on the tin :)

Edited by steve-bbb

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1375512395' post='2162356']
Hi Rich I just got a reply from Rob they've all been on their summer hols

[i]Hi Steve,[/i]
[i]Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. The workshop has a summer break until Monday 5th August.[/i]

[i]The board is original but we only used it for a very short time. It is a simple hi / low impedance buffer rather than an active EQ.[/i]

[i]Best regards, Rob Green[/i]
[/quote]

Aha! Learn something every day :)