Why become a member? ×

"Otter" ABG by Brook Guitars

franzbassist

[quote name='walbassist' post='280028' date='Sep 8 2008, 09:55 PM']The neck and string spacing mirrors my Ken Smith bass, which is really comfortable. So the measurements are:

String Spacing: 9mm at the nut, 18mm at the bridge
Fingerboard Width: 1 3/4" at the nut, 3" at the 24th Fret

And thanks for the compliments guys, I have to admit the bass has surpassed my expectations. It's beautifully put together and sounds amazing.[/quote]
Sounds fantastic! And 24 frets on an ABG! :)

So, a week on and what do I think of the bass?

Fit and finish is superb. Really just amazing quality and workmanship. It's strange, but the bass seems so much stronger than most ABGs I've played. The finish on it is amazing too, glassy smooth and just wonderful to hold. I have no complaints at all about the workmanship that went into this instrument.

Played on its own, unplugged, it has a really nice tone that I am sure will just get better with age. The b string is very robust and even with the other strings. Finger style sounds great and played with a pick the bass has bite and presence. Last night I played it against a Lowden Dreadnought and the two sat really well together, the bass only starting to fade when the guitarist strummed [i]really[/i] hard.

And then I plugged it in...

WOW. I wasn't prepared for the sound that came out of my rig. Huge bass with really fat creamy tones, not boomy (although the feedback got a bit tasty when we really cranked it up - will by a soundhole plug just in case) just lots of real "punch in the chest" bass. Being so light the bass was a delight to play, and after rehearsing out acoustic set my electric felt really heavy when we moved on to the blues.

So, I am absoltely chuffed to bits with this bass. It's unique, beautiful and sounds wonderful both unplugged and, er, unplugged.

Simon and the team at Brook have made a masterpiece...

Edited by walbassist

• 1 month later...
  • 8 years later...

Sorry to resurrect this post again. Does anyone know where this bass is now? The last I saw of it was in Vintage and Rare guitars in Bath, on at an absolutely bargain price. Unfortunately at the time I was due to pick up my own Brook acoustic bass build, so couldn't justify buying it, but this bass still haunts me.

Robbie

[quote name='Brook_fan' timestamp='1502959682' post='3354609']
Sorry to resurrect this post again. Does anyone know where this bass is now?

Robbie
[/quote]

Last I saw it was at an online shop called "Shady Grove", but that site closed last year I think.

Edited by walbassist

Yeh that's right, my friend Dave Smith set that venture up, but unfortunately folded when his business partner pulled out. He then put it in Vintage and Rare (who are now a fully fledged Brook dealer). I love mine so much, a five string would be a great addition. E to C I think. I would then convert my Brook to a fretless.

Robbie