Why become a member? ×

Fuzzes and O/Ds

john_the_bass

[quote name='Clunge' post='25837' date='Jul 2 2007, 12:00 AM']Hehe, sorry to contradict but I'm 99.99% certain he doesn't use a Micro Synth (being something of a Wolstenholme fanboy n'all :)).

+ I'd like to try and get that sound using just one unit if possible, mainly to keep my board nice and compact.[/quote]

Don't be sorry - you've just set me straight!

In a weird bit of synchronicity, its seems he does also use the Bassballs though. [url="http://www.bassplayer.com/story.asp?storycode=15875"]http://www.bassplayer.com/story.asp?storycode=15875[/url]

[quote name='Musky' post='25841' date='Jul 2 2007, 12:53 AM']Don't be sorry - you've just set me straight!

In a weird bit of synchronicity, its seems he does also use the Bassballs though. [url="http://www.bassplayer.com/story.asp?storycode=15875"]http://www.bassplayer.com/story.asp?storycode=15875[/url][/quote]
That article misses out the majority of his gear!

And thanks Toasted, I'll look into those two as well.

If you're looking for something Muse-like, I would heartily recommend the MXR Bass BlowTorch. It seems to have a bit of a poor reputation, but I don't think you will find many pedals (for the price) that do the heavy/gated fuzz thing better - it really is the dogs b0ll0cks. It really holds the low end too. I don't think it's strength lies in the more subtle setting that are available; however, when you turn the gain up and engage the Blowtorch, it really does produce a fantastic wall of sound - almost synth-like in intensity, quite gated and compressed. It's the closest thing, in one pedal, to that Hysteria or Starlight tone that I 've come across - although obviously I've not tried as many pedals out there as some people.

Combined with a Bassballs, you could probably get close to the Plug In Baby sound too.

I have the MI Neo Fuzz pedal too, but it doesn't get anywhere close to the MXR in imitating Mr Wolstenholme in my opinion.

Edited by JJTee

Funnily enough, I have a Bass Blow Torch on it's was to me as we speak. When I tried it though, it was fab for getting a really gravelly, throaty bass sound rather than a thick, warm fuzz tone which is what I'm after now.

[quote name='Clunge' post='25930' date='Jul 2 2007, 12:06 PM']Funnily enough, I have a Bass Blow Torch on it's was to me as we speak. When I tried it though, it was fab for getting a really gravelly, throaty bass sound rather than a thick, warm fuzz tone which is what I'm after now.[/quote]

I don't have the pedal to hand, but from memory I have the gain and mix set to 3-4 O'clock, bass treble and mids to around 2 o'clock, mid-shift on the middle setting, blowtorch 'on', and voila - a big fat fuzz sound results.

• 4 years later...

Well, I have probably a silly question (asked elsewhere), but did anybody here try Maestro FZ-1S Superfuzz on bass? Doesn't need to be the original, copies experience welcomed too. I'm asking because I can have it's clone for what seems a reasonable price to me so I wonder if somebody tried it...

Bit of a hijack but Im using a Bushy Bison woolly mammoth clone into a yam hand feedback regenerater which gives me a great fuzz plus the ability to add in the craziness from the yam hand.Ultimately its not a sound than works in context for what Im actually playing live in my main band just now but it could be someone's perfect sound.

Im gonna sell it soon but if you wanna her what the yam hand can do with some volume control manipulation I can pm you a you tube link. Effectively you can 'tune in' the yam hand and get synthy tones on top of your foundation dirt sound. Great potential and super simple to use - stomp on it and tweak your volume knob slightly :)

Like I say gonna sell tha as a set - pm for the big info.

thanks

g

[quote name='Dragonlord' post='23814' date='Jun 26 2007, 11:17 PM']Hm, Toasted told me that the Depth Charge doesn't work with active. Could you recommend a similar pedal that does? (I mean a smooth, thick fuzz that doesn't sound separated from the original signal - that's what I thought about the Depth Charge from samples anyway)[/quote]

I realise this is a fairly ancient thread, but I used to own a Depth Charge and used it with both active and passive basses and it sounded pretty much the same on both - like probably the most awesome fuzz ever. I regret selling it very much.

So although I've heard of it many times, I guess I've never really known what people mean when they say a fuzz won't 'work' with active basses. Anyone more knowledgeable able to explain?

And anyone know where I can get a DC for cheap?!