Why become a member? ×

Ever been sacked????

Damonjames

Only got sacked once. I got booted because I thought the drummer was a dick and sooner or later I was going to swing for him. So, the guys thought it would be better if I moved on. A few months later they sacked the drummer because he was a dick.

[quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1373329466' post='2136382']Only got sacked once. I got booted because I thought the drummer was a dick and sooner or later I was going to swing for him. So, the guys thought it would be better if I moved on. A few months later they sacked the drummer because he was a dick.[/quote]

Did they swing for him?

I remember sitting glumly staring at the phone once, trying to pluck up the courage to leave a band I was in but really wished I wasn't.
I took a deep breath and placed my hand on the phone when, it rang.

It was the guitarist calling to say it wasn't working out!!!

Couldn't believe my luck :) I think he was a bit taken aback at my relieved reaction :)

Edited by gafbass02

Twice...

First time, I was playing in an originals band and the man in charge was a bit of a control freak. I made a couple of comments about how we could/should improve the PA (to be actually heard) and that was that - text, "we're looking for a new bass player".

Second time, a new covers band just starting up - text, "drummer doesn't think he's gelling with you - we're going to look for someone else". Never heard of again. Ha ha ha

Sometimes you're just not good enough / too old / too young / too ugly / don't brown-nose the egotist enough / etc. It's easy to say and harder to do but I wouldn't sweat it. Move on.

I was sacked last year by a band I was a founder member of after 4 years together - one of two bands I was in at the time. But rather than being upset or angry I found it to be quite a relief when it happened as I had been getting increasingly pissed off with the singer, who over the 4 years had gradually become a complete prima donna. I'd had a gutful and was contemplating leaving but when do you decide to jump ship? Difficult call but in the end the decision was taken out of my hands when we had a rather silly finger wagging barney just before a gig (As I recall I threatened to chuck him off the fire escape) after which he said 'him or me'. The other guys chose him, as he is a rather good front man and I am 'just the bass player'. They haven't found anyone to replace me yet, which gives me a small amount of satisfaction.

I have moved on and am back to being in two bands, with a third in the offing. Things work out in the end.