Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Removal of fret markers ?????

mike 110

[size=4]I think it is done by placing the bass on its side then positioning a large chisel between the neck and fret then whacking it with a lump hammer when all the frets are removed just smooth the neck out with an angle grinder. lol[/size]

​Sorry for my silliness couldn't resist but seriously I dont have a clue :)

Hi Mike,

I decided I should post a sensible answer I did a bit of googling and thought this may help you?

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f18/article-guide-defret-your-bass-guitar-311434/"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f18/article-guide-defret-your-bass-guitar-311434/[/url]

I had assumed he meant the dots, or blocks or whatever. I was hoping someone would come up with something because I would be interested, too. I know you can buy stick on fret markers that come with a pen to colour the current markers the same as the fretboard so they don't show through or around the new ones, but it's hardly suitable if you just want a plain board. I'd quite like my Warlock to have a plain ebony board but with markers at the 12th fret (a pair of silver mudflap girls).

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1373037469' post='2133096']
I had assumed he meant the dots, or blocks or whatever. I was hoping someone would come up with something because I would be interested, too. I know you can buy stick on fret markers that come with a pen to colour the current markers the same as the fretboard so they don't show through or around the new ones, but it's hardly suitable if you just want a plain board. I'd quite like my Warlock to have a plain ebony board but with markers at the 12th fret (a pair of silver mudflap girls).
[/quote]

I pulled the dots out of my maple board with a hand drill and a tiny drill bit, then filled them with maple veneer and superglue. They're not totally invisible, but they aren't black anymore either.
Like ET says, whole new board is the only fool proof way, but you can do a lot with dust and glue (and a hole punch and some veneer in my case).

I shall post a picture again.... (posted it on a fretless question the other day as well)

Not too visible is it?

Looks like a good job.

I'm not sure what to do about mine. It's an ebony fretboard but it's not totally black (the cheeky buggers at BC Rich had dyed it, which didn't stand up so well to my cleaning it. I can only imagine that the previous owner had never cleaned the fretboard. Mind you, the whole bass looked hardly used when I got it, it even has all it's corners, which I think is technically impossible on a Warlock over twelve minutes old.). I was sort of considering painting the markers black with the ink from a CD pen as it's a very permanent ink. Though, since I started thinking about it I have found myself using the markers because the ones on the side aren't so easy to see, but I was thinking of either replacing the side markers with some of that glow in the dark stuff, or one of those LED strips (I love pretty lights!).

I don't know, I've got so many plans for it and they're always changing, so we'll see. I've had the thing for just over a year now and only just got around to replacing the bridge saddles and am about to replace the nut. Pick ups next, then the preamp.

Thanks for your input everybody , much appreciated . It is the fretboard dots I'd like to remove rather than the dots on the edge . My project bass has a maple board which I've scraped the varnish off . I intend to stain the board as dark as I can get it and as the dots are black I'd like to put new ones in .