Why become a member? ×

Reversing switch on a Bass Big Muff?

I'm currently using the EHX Bass Big Muff and have been for a while now. I'm quite enjoying it but I've found that it doesn't cut through in a live situation very well unless the "Dry" mode is selected using the switch.

The problem I have is that, due to the location/direction of the switch, I keep knocking it off this setting with my foot when I engage the pedal. My own fault, I know, and if I stopped jumping about like an idiot it would solve the problem. But instead, I was thinking about reversing the switch so that the "Dry" setting is at the top.

I thought this would be a pretty easy job but judging by the things I've read online it seems that it's pretty difficult to make mods to the pedal due to the double sided PCB etc. I was just wondering if anyone knew how easy/difficult this was going to be and if it would be worth it.

I've also attached a photo of the switch on the pedal to give an idea of what I mean.

Cheers,

Paul

Edited by paulpirie8

Think need to know the space working with.
The space between board and case and how its wired in.

Flipping it 180 shouldn't do any thing. (If PCB mounted)
Blocking the hole or using it to bring cables out to a switch placed else were
If its not you have room, could move it 90/180 if not PCB mounted
A ultra mini 2P2T/1P2T might fit and give you the room to draw cables off to move the switch

Ok so i've taken the pedal apart! It was a right pain in the ar*e getting the PCB out in one! But i managed.

I've taken a couple of photos of the board. The first one is from the front and shows the switch that I'm looking to rotate. The second is from the back and it shows the solder joints. You can see the 6 pins of the switch (2 vertical lines of 3) just above and left of the I.C. Would it be ok to just de-solder these 6 pins, rotate the switch and then solder in the other way around?

If that's the case I'd be willing to do it as I know I could handle that. My soldering skills are fine, it's just the electronics are a bit beyond me. If I have to reverse the polarity/connections of any of the other components to get the pedal working in the same way then I don't think i'll bother.

I'm not sure how much you're gonna be able to tell me just from the photos either but if anyone could help me in any way it'd be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Paul

Good luck with that! It would involve taking the switch from there, and either putting a smaller one in so you have some room to solder in some crossed over extension wires, or relocating the switch elsewhere.

I would try and attach some sort of fabricated guard as already suggested. Or trade it in for the deluxe version, which also fixes the problem with the volume boost in dry mode (which you can fix with a mod to yours also).

[IMG]http://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/m3e66-RUtNTfJoGU062OYag.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.cedmagic.com/tech-info/rca-tv-remote/07-desoldering-braid.jpg[/IMG]

Well without cutting the case, ultra mini toggle switch with wires linking and a nut holding it in place
We can turn the switch 90°/180°

Edited by AngelLaHash