Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Whats the form for collection by courier?

iconic

not this!

[url="http://raywhitegw.com/files/2012/04/Application-pic.jpg"][/url]

this!

I may have to get a bass collected from a seller by courier...wouldn't know where to start!?!

..one thing troubles me, if it turns up damaged, how to know if the damage was present before collection or during transit....barring snapped necks ;)

any help most welcome B)

PS a polite and formal dining education thread too!

Edited by iconic

I worked for a major UK courier company for 26 years, so I hope what follows helps?

Once you've decided which company to use, ring their customer services to book a collection. You'll probably be asked a series of questions as to what it is you're moving, dimensions, and what the value of the item is, as well as collection and delivery address (postcode included). Normally best to ring before midday as cut-off times for collection are about 1pm if you want it to go that day.

A courier will then go to the collection location, the sender will probably fill out a form and an electronic device in the driver's posession, and take receipt of a barcode number by which to track the item through it's journey. It would be wise for you have a record of the tracking number as well.

As you're going to be the recipient of this item, I would get in touch with the seller prior to booking the collection and get them to make sure they package the item very well indeed. If it's coming in a case, make sure that the neck areas are padded out with paper / bubblewrap. Obviously more of the same if it's coming in a box. The sender needs to make sure that all the address details are clearly typed / written out and a [b]return address [/b]is included either within or on the outside of the package (this is just in case the delivery address falls off and the courier company need to send it back). The reason why the item needs to be very well packaged is that it wil be travelling with other peoples packages and will be manually or machine handled more than once in it's journey, so a well packaged and sealed case / box is essential.

Depending on how far it's going from point A to point B, you're looking at a delivery time of 1-3 days. One thing I would say is that "misroutes" happen -this means that someone or something hasn't read the delivery address properly and it ends up at a different delivery depot than the one it should be at - if that happens, the depot will put it "back in the system" to go to the right location that night.

In terms of the damage thing, if it's sealed and well packaged, it should be able to handle the journey fine, but if it's a case that the sender has done that bit properly and it still ends up in a state, you'll have to take it up with the courier company and in terms of compensation, it may vary.

[quote name='louisthebass' timestamp='1372490932' post='2126301']
I worked for a major UK courier company for 26 years, so I hope what follows helps?

Once you've decided which company to use, ring their customer services to book a collection. You'll probably be asked a series of questions as to what it is you're moving, dimensions, and what the value of the item is, as well as collection and delivery address (postcode included). Normally best to ring before midday as cut-off times for collection are about 1pm if you want it to go that day.

A courier will then go to the collection location, the sender will probably fill out a form and an electronic device in the driver's posession, and take receipt of a barcode number by which to track the item through it's journey. It would be wise for you have a record of the tracking number as well.

As you're going to be the recipient of this item, I would get in touch with the seller prior to booking the collection and get them to make sure they package the item very well indeed. If it's coming in a case, make sure that the neck areas are padded out with paper / bubblewrap. Obviously more of the same if it's coming in a box. The sender needs to make sure that all the address details are clearly typed / written out and a [b]return address [/b]is included either within or on the outside of the package (this is just in case the delivery address falls off and the courier company need to send it back). The reason why the item needs to be very well packaged is that it wil be travelling with other peoples packages and will be manually or machine handled more than once in it's journey, so a well packaged and sealed case / box is essential.

Depending on how far it's going from point A to point B, you're looking at a delivery time of 1-3 days. One thing I would say is that "misroutes" happen -this means that someone or something hasn't read the delivery address properly and it ends up at a different delivery depot than the one it should be at - if that happens, the depot will put it "back in the system" to go to the right location that night.

In terms of the damage thing, if it's sealed and well packaged, it should be able to handle the journey fine, but if it's a case that the sender has done that bit properly and it still ends up in a state, you'll have to take it up with the courier company and in terms of compensation, it may vary.
[/quote]

many thanks, that covers everything! B)

I have arranged the courier a few times now - mainly because the item is too far away, probably initially listed as collection only, and on here from someone with good feedback so I have trusted the forum member, oh and I get a rate through the courier work uses.

I must admit I perhaps haven't thought too much about packaging, knowing the bass was in a bag or case and would be boxed, and trusting the description and photos listed by the member in terms of checking over the bass.

Not had a problem, but perhaps I've just been lucky

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1372491175' post='2126302']
Why won't the seller arrange the courier?
[/quote]

probably the same reasons we see on here...where to get packing matirials, how to pack it up etc...no, I can't understand why either, it's not 'rocket science'....(there must be a better phrase now, rockets have been around a few years now?)

...although the 1st time I sent a bass I was a little worried, the more you send the easier and more comfortable it gets, I guess?

[quote name='iconic' timestamp='1372492892' post='2126321']
probably the same reasons we see on here...where to get packing matirials, how to pack it up etc...no, I can't understand why either, it's not 'rocket science'....(there must be a better phrase now, rockets have been around a few years now?)
[/quote]

This is what would worry me. Booking the courier is the easy part. Provided you have all the information and your credit card to hand it takes about 5 minutes on the Interparcel website.

Even if you book the courier you are still relying on the seller packing up the bass properly which is the bit that takes time and effort. Remember also that even if it is sent in a hard case that should still be boxed up otherwise it is considered to be packaging and therefore ultimately disposable.

If this was me I'd be either collecting in person or cancelling the deal.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1372494977' post='2126346']
If this was me I'd be either collecting in person or cancelling the deal.
[/quote]

Me too. Booking the courier takes 2 minutes online. The seller still has to do everyting else.

I book basses for collection by courier all the time and from all over the world - Australia, USA, Continental Europe, Scandinavia and, of course, UK.

I've never had a single problem with damage. The odd box that might have taken a whack but the contents has always been fine :)

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1372502646' post='2126482']
I book basses for collection by courier all the time and from all over the world - Australia, USA, Continental Europe, Scandinavia and, of course, UK.

I've never had a single problem with damage. The odd box that might have taken a whack but the contents has always been fine :)
[/quote]

Are these being collected from you or from someone else being sent to you?

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1372502871' post='2126486']

Are these being collected from you or from someone else being sent to you?
[/quote]

From other people - there's loads of people out there who seem to have a phobia about dealing with couriers so I often volunteer to sort this out for them so they don't have to bothered with anything other than packing and printing the paperwork :)

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1372504327' post='2126513']
My worry is that anyone who can't handle booking a courier probably also can't handle packing up a bass properly (which IMO is the most important and hardest part).
[/quote]

Maybe that's why Iconic might be better off arranging the movement, and having a word with the sender about how to send it. I guess (in hindsight now) that's why I probably over emphasised the sender sealing and packing it properly - and also making sure the relevant address info is attached.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1372504327' post='2126513']
My worry is that anyone who can't handle booking a courier probably also can't handle packing up a bass properly (which IMO is the most important and hardest part).
[/quote] +5

Where does it need to be collected from? Maybe a BC'er can help?
If they can't pack a bass for a courier they booked, what makes you think they can pack it just because you booked the collection?