Why become a member? ×

Amber 60's/Modern Hybrid P Build

Nibody

I recently got rid of a load of spares and bits but found myself still in possesion of a few bits - Squier Body, MightyMite Neck. So I decided to put together another P as a back up to my 2012 US FSR Precision.

The Squier body was that odd shade of metallic blue that looks lighter in Pics (when I bought it I was expecting something mid blue-ish but in daylight it almost looked black! Sanded down to the sanding sealer and in a couple of places through it... damn brillo pad type disk that assured me it would remove the paint without damaging the wood!!

The original idea was to go for olympic white, Black or Candy apple red - but the wife saw the mocked up beast and said "Why dont you leave it natural". Nosing on the interweb I spotted a few 60's and 70's that were done (or had aged to) a nice amber - which the squier VM precision tried to emulate. My mind started to tick... they actually looked quite tasty. So a quick web hop to Rothcoe and Frosts ebay store was made. Purchased a can of Nitro sanding sealer, a Can of Amber Tinted Nitro Lacquer and a can of Clear Gloss Nitro. I much prefer using Nitrocellulose to standard "car paint" as it sets quicker (have had nightmare mess ups using Acryllic lacquer) and it finishes better. Also picked up some burnishing paste, and from a US retailer ordered a Vintage High Mass bridge (As fitted to the current US standards) and some Ferrules so I could through body string it.

After a few coats of sanding sealer,some sanding back, a few coats of Amber tint and the final layers of Gloss, we got to here. Abandoned the idea of using a mirrored guard as the 4-ply Tort I had floating around looked like it bellonged.

My spraying is getting better! Still waiting for the bridge so temporarily put the BBOT back on and dropped the neck on. I already had a full CTS/Switchcraft/Sprague loom with US Fender knobs and a set of Wizard thumpers attached, and a "F" logu neckplate. The neck is lovelly - was already vintage tinted in Nitro with a 60's style logo applied when I got it and it fitted perfectly. Partially finished result bellow.

I say unfinished, as I'm still waiting for the modern High Mass bridge/ferrules, it needs burnishing a bit more and I may replace the pickguard with an identical one as this one had been cut away for one of my Japcraps to allow access to the Wheel of Fortune truss rod adjuster. I do have to say I am pleased with how its turned out - and it sounds great too - punchier than a friday night in Glasgow with a nice deep undertone and lots of resonance.

Pictures are a bit rubbish as they were taken with my ageing iPhone 3GS

The neck is great - feels slightly shallower than the one on my US standard. It's been very stable and has hoped on and off a couple of projects. Got it from a seller in the Uk via eBay

That body looks amazing. I really like the tint you've given it. I stripped my 79 P-bass as I too noticed a lot of players from the 60s and 70s did this but left it without sealer. I like the Wizard pickups too and even position my thumb rest in the same way. All well up my street :)

[quote name='BurritoBass' timestamp='1372493605' post='2126331']
That body looks amazing. I really like the tint you've given it. I stripped my 79 P-bass as I too noticed a lot of players from the 60s and 70s did this but left it without sealer. I like the Wizard pickups too and even position my thumb rest in the same way. All well up my street :)
[/quote]

There's a company sells on eBay called Rothcoe & Frost. They do a lot of Nitro lacquers both in cans and for spray guns. They do a lighter and a darker colour as well as finnishing products and guitar bits.

My Vintage High Mass bridge arrived late yesterday and I re established the fact that I can't drill straight to save my life... But its now done for through body stringing even if the ferrules are all over the place at the back!!!! Next project I think I will stick to a nice easy badass!