Why become a member? ×

John Taylor hidden gems...if you weren't a Duran'ee back in the day!

iconic

[quote name='iconic' timestamp='1391629335' post='2359502']
[media]http://youtu.be/5uQ4wZ5eJTY[/media]
[/quote]

Whilst I am just as keen as anybody to acknowledge Duran Duran's talents with the benefit of hindsight, looking particularly at Simon Le Bon's dance moves at the start of this clip, it's not hard to see why most people dismissed them as w***ers at the time.

.In my social circle back in those days, admitting to liking Duran Duran, you may as well have been confessing to some kind of abhorrent sex crime( which you would probably have got away with back then, anyway) . Music like this was very much the prerogative of teenage girls and boys of, what in those days at least, was thought of as" dubious" sexual orientation, regardless of how good the bass lines were.

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1391805962' post='2361628']

Whilst I am just as keen as anybody to acknowledge Duran Duran's talents with the benefit of hindsight, looking particularly at Simon Le Bon's dance moves at the start of this clip, it's not hard to see why most people dismissed them as w***ers at the time.

.In my social circle back in those days, admitting to liking Duran Duran, you may as well have been confessing to some kind of abhorrent sex crime( which you would probably have got away with back then, anyway) . Music like this was very much the prerogative of teenage girls and boys of, what in those days at least, was thought of as" dubious" sexual orientation, regardless of how good the bass lines were.
[/quote]

plus one...with age comes wisdom.

add that to spandau ballet, wham and japan....full 'o pretty boy pansies!

And Bowie, led zeppelin, beatles and stones was for 'dads'!

I remember, one news years eve, my parents had a party and my elder brothers got me drunk by drinking capfuls of neat gin. 'Go on Mart', they'd say, 'this is rock star stuff' I think I was maybe 14 years old, maybe even 13. I'd have a capful (the cap that screwed onto the bottle) then I would disappear upstairs to my room and pick up my bass and play along with some Duran stuff. I remember being able to play 'my own way'. Because I was so relaxed (drunk) I learned to slap the part.
I learned all the parts from the Duran stuff. (and the Jam and the Police)

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1391610340' post='2359165']

The 1980's was the Golden Age of the bass guitar! If you look at the records in the Top 40 from this week thirty years ago and compare the bass guitar content on them to the music of today's hit parade, there is no contest.Prominent bass guitar parts in mainstream pop music was a trend throughout that decade. To be fair to Damonjames, though , I think he means the music was crap rather than the bass playing. I love a lot of music from the'80's myself but I suppose others may not for whatever reason.

[/quote]

Thanks Dingus, this is exactly what I meant. I had discounted most the this type if music largely out if ignorance. As I am learning and developing as a bass player, I am coming across amazing bass lines (albeit it trashy songs) all over the place, Nathan East's work on easy lover for example springs to mind.

I'm not out to insult anyone, my comments were actually directed at me an my ignorance on the subject and having to eat some humble pie!

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1391807462' post='2361653']
It strikes me that bands used to get on telly when they were still pretty sh*t back in those days. You'd never get away with that now.
[/quote]

LOL...if only DD were as talented as 1D :lol: