Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Good acoustic drum plugin for Logic!

MiltyG565

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1371915018' post='2119561']
The sampler plugin that comes free with Logic.
[/quote]

Yeah, I don't know much about it. How can I get decent samples on to that plugin? I thought really the only midi drum machine in Logic was really just UltraBeat.

The EXS24 can import all sorts of file types - from wav/aiffs to 3rd party hardware sample sets (like Akai). The cheapest way to get a hold of new drum sounds is to browse a webstore like Loopmasters and buy/download your choice. Open up the Edit menu in the EXS24 and import all the drum sounds you want at one time, and it will automatically map and span the individual hits to keys. For multi layered drum sounds try and get a hold of sets that are in a .exs format or other sampler format and the plug-in should read them ok and automatically assign all the correct velocity wavs under each key.
There actually some okay kits already bundled with the EXS24, but you might not have them if you didn't get the Logic Pro Studio bundle.

[quote name='MisterFingers' timestamp='1371973051' post='2120105']
The EXS24 can import all sorts of file types - from wav/aiffs to 3rd party hardware sample sets (like Akai). The cheapest way to get a hold of new drum sounds is to browse a webstore like Loopmasters and buy/download your choice. Open up the Edit menu in the EXS24 and import all the drum sounds you want at one time, and it will automatically map and span the individual hits to keys. For multi layered drum sounds try and get a hold of sets that are in a .exs format or other sampler format and the plug-in should read them ok and automatically assign all the correct velocity wavs under each key.
There actually some okay kits already bundled with the EXS24, but you might not have them if you didn't get the Logic Pro Studio bundle.
[/quote]

Thanks! :)

There are already hundreds of acoustic drum loops bundled with logic accessible through the loop browser. These are apple loops (they have a little blue icon) - i.e. fixed drum patterns that you drop into an [i]audio[/i] track. because they are apple loops they will adjust to any tempo (within reason).

Also in the loop browser are similar drum loops but with a green icon, which means [i]midi[/i] loops, so if you drag and drop these onto an empty midi track (or just drop them into the bottom of the arrangement window) then it will create a drum instrument (usually the EXS24 sampler) and also the midi part which triggers the drums. You can carry on dragging and dropping midi loops into the instrument track for more patterns OR you can create your own patterns with a keyboard or by drawing in the midi notes.

This is (possibly) pretty much going to give you everything you need to a decent level. If you want to get even more sophisticated then you can go the 3rd party route - for example Native Instruments Abbey Road drums, which come in 50s, 60s, 70s kits and much more. About £90 per kit. The quality is amazing and they also come with midi files for ultra realistic patterns.

So it really depends on what you want. But I wouldn't go looking for 3rd party stuff until you explore what's on offer in Logic as it has so much already.

Edited by tedmanzie

EZ Drummer is what I use, it's pretty involved, and programming realistic sounding acoustic drum tracks from the ground up is an extremely difficult art I hope to master one day.

All my composition comp entries except the drunk Santa one use it if you fancy a listen.

• 5 weeks later...