Why become a member? ×

SOLD - Trace Elliot AH350SMX 350W Amp Head
£275

geilerbass

This has now been sold.

Up for sale is my Trace Elliot AH350SMX 350W head.
[attachment=137624:20130527_153526.jpg][attachment=137463:traceFront.jpg][attachment=137464:traceBack.jpg]
The amp was made in 1995 and I bought it second-hand from the Gallery in London at the end of 2001. It's served me well for the last 11+ years and I have only had one problem with it (a faulty resistor) about 10 years ago, which was fixed by the old Trace Elliot workshop in Essex. It has been reliable ever since, though I did have it serviced a couple of years ago, when it was given a clean bill of health. In fact, the UV light on the front of the console even still works!

Aesthetically, it is in very good condition - there are naturally some marks on the vinyl covering, and metal feet/corner protectors, though nothing significant.

This is a very versatile and powerful, solid-state amp, creating that signature Trace Elliot sound with a load of features that enable a massive range of different tones. There is a valve pre-amp stage, controlled by a blend knob that can put more or less warmth and growl into the sound, followed by a pre-shape switch (for a scooped sound) and then a full 12-band graphic eq. Best of all, is the inclusion of the famous Trace dual-band compressor (that can also be found stand-alone in a pedal), that can help you create a really tight and precise tone.

As with many old amps, it doesn't have a speakon output, but does have an XLR and 9mm jack for regular speaker cables. It also has balanced DI outs (with ground lift), two effects loops, tuner out etc.

The amp is pretty loud (far more so than the 350W rating might indicate) and run into 4 ohms, as I generally do, I'm always surprised at how much the sound penetrates through the mix when on stage.

Edited by geilerbass
  • Like 1

[quote name='ziggydolphinboy' timestamp='1372609777' post='2127651']
i had two of these awesome .
bump for a great head.
[/quote]
In fact, I bought Ziggy's AH350SMX (1996, I think). It's a truly amazing amp: fantastic and versatile tone and seemingly endless amounts of power. I challenge you to buy a modern amp this good for under £600.

Edited by Sharkfinger

[quote name='Sharkfinger' timestamp='1372774627' post='2129770']
In fact, I bought Ziggy's AH350SMX (1996, I think). It's a truly amazing amp: fantastic and versatile tone and seemingly endless amounts of power. I challenge you to buy a modern amp this good for under £600.
[/quote]

Biased as I may be, this is true. You really can get a huge range of tones from this and the 350W is a deceptive power rating - it's got a lot of punch.

Were I not trying to free up a bit of space in my modest flat and scale down a bit, I'd certainly be hanging on to this.

Will it work with just one 8 ohm cab for the time being until I get the cash to buy a second? Sorry don't quite understand impedances etc... Any good recommendations off anyone for which cab to go for? Would sooner stick to TE.

Most Trace heads will run into 4ohms lowest.
(AH500 does 4ohms into each channel biamped)

Most Trace cabs are 8ohm to allow multiples.
there are a couple of exceptions: 4 or 8ohm verisons of the 2x15, 8x10 is 4ohm
Sounds huge and meaty through the 4ohm 2x15. Which I can do if you want one.
The full size 1x15 with the 4x10 on top (with or without horn) is classic, if a bit of a lug.
4x10s are the choice for slap/bip. One is almost always enough. (I can do with or without HF tweeter).

You can put it through the compact cabs (I can do a 1x15 and 2x10 with tweeter).
Punchier, if less room fill.

In my book, the big cabs are worth the carry.
Any side-by-side will prove their merit.