Why become a member? ×

Fretless Fender Jazz comparisons

xgsjx

Yesterday I had a little time to kill in Glasgow whilst waiting on the wife, so I headed to Guitar Guitar to see if they had any fretless bass' in for me to try & joy of joys, they had not 1, not 2, not 3 but 4 lined fretless Jazzers & a fretless Stingray too.

First bass I tried was the MIA Jazz & what can I say, such a beautiful instrument to play (I still don't like the top horn, but hey, not all basses are perfect).
Had it going through an Ashdown ABM 500 combo (which I couldn't fault either).
The bass had loads of beef in the low end on either pickup & it's made me want one! Might be some time before I can afford one though. It was just over £1200.

Next up I tried the MIM Jazz. At almost £600 this was a very disappointing instrument. The second I held it I could feel the difference in quality. Not just a wee bit, but like the difference from a nice tailored suit to a bin bag. It didn't have any low end beef either, which was a further disappointment.

Then I tried the Squire. This outshone the MIM by a long way. I'd be happy with this bass & all I'd need to do is stick a set of flatwounds on it & lower the action a bit.
Very impressed considering it's a £300 bass.

Then I tried the Creme de la creme, the Jaco Jazz. Even over the quality of the MIA, you can feel the difference. I like the thinner profile (almost as thin as my Ibby) & the notes just sung from this bass. Though I'm not sure I'd spend the extra £500 on this over the MIA.

So my winner out of those 4 is the MIA. I'm now toying with the idea of selling all my pedals (& my wife) to get one.

Here's another one to ponder. Hand built unlined fretless J Type ACG, yours for a little over £800 (I think).

[url="http://www.acguitars.co.uk/acg_admin/wordpress/portfolio/g019-j-type-fretless-4/"]http://www.acguitars.co.uk/acg_admin/wordpress/portfolio/g019-j-type-fretless-4/[/url]

They are superb, although I would say that wouldn't I :) as I am lucky to have the full custom version of that bass. I know what you mean about black basses though, not a fan personally.

You could always order your own version, which in Graft spec would be about £830ish for a passive one...

Edited by ead

I own a 2009 American Jazz deluxe 4 string fretted which I bought new and cost me over £1K. Beautiful instrument. I have recently bought a second hand 2004 mex Jazz fretless off these very pages for £250 inc delivery. The difference is quality is very noticable however the fretless is just so much fun to play. The neck is fantastic. I do not play fretless that much with the band so didn't want to part with tons of cash. The problem I had was the massive difference in tone and volume when changing between both basses mid-set (the deluxe is active, the fretless is passive). So I stuck an East J Retro in the fretless (£125 second hand also from a basschat member) and voila..........I challange anyone in a blind test to tell which bass I was playing. Also bought a hard case for £50, a tort pickguard for £10 and 3 x Fender plastic stacked knobs (which I had shipped in from the good ol' US of A (£35). So the bass owes me £470 and I couldn't be happier.

Full agree that the MIA is miles better than the MIM and the Squier sits between the 2. If I was was buying new i'd probably go for the Squier (more bang for your buck) or possibly the Vintage (which is held in high regard on here) however if I played a lot of fretless i'd probably opt for the MIA (would still put the J Retro in there though!

The ACG looks fantastic BTW.