Why become a member? ×

whistling strings

steve-bbb

ok not sure where to put this thread but this folder seems as good a place as any

[size=6][i][b]So [/b][/i][/size] .... i recently bought some black nylons - and coincidentally i also bought a set of rotosound trubass black nylon wounds adn this is the cause of my woes

not gigged them before so decided to give it a run this afternoon (on a squier fretless vmJ)

the squeak from the strings (both left and right hand) was causing some serious whistling and feedback!! - initially i had flanger on and the settings were a bit much so wound it down and that seemed to stop it - however every time my fingers caused a squeak on the strings the bloody thing would howl like mad - im guessing somehow the mics were picking up the initial squeak - i thought it might have been the flange or chorus accentuating it so turned them of but to no avail

anybody had any similar problems with flat black nylon wounds? must admit never had anything even remotely like this with steel or nickels :( :huh:

Wierd, nylons usually reduce string squeak. Was your bass amp mic'd up and was the feedback coming from your amp or through the pa? If through the pa then did you try tweaking the eq on the desk to notch out the feedback?

Edited by ikay

No problems with the GHS Black Nylons I use, no squeaking here!

Something I usually do with ALL new strings before putting them on is to clean them off with Surgical Spirit rubbed over with a cotton pad. This removes any traces of lubricant/machine oil used in production processes. You might be amazed at the essH1t that comes off some strings, I think stainless are the worse.

That might be causing/contributing to the squeak!

Edited by KiOgon

im pretty sure it was the squeak from my amp being picked up by the singists mics who were all looking at me and pointing like its my fault!!! :o :unsure:

its only the second time ive gigged the pesky thing and wasnt really expecting it at all as never noticed it on my boxer65 at reasonable practice volume levels

Seems like a weird problem. The only thing I can think of---and this is a stab in the dark---is that with bare-metal strings you ground yourself when you touch them. With nylon strings, you don't. I'm wondering if you were picking up extra feedback because the big antenna that is your body was no longer grounded? :blink: