Why become a member? ×

Fender CIJ Geddy Lee Jazz, with mods SOLD
£400

Trade wise, I'd be interested in 12" amp combos / amps and cabs.

This is a lovely sounding and playing jazz; I'd been through 7 jazzes in 3 years until I found this one. Fantastic slap tone with the 70's pup positioning, low action and the neck is just sooooo slim and playable. Unfortunately, I've turned a corner and realised that I don't really like jazz basses that much anymore; I used to be all about bright, jazz bass tones and hated dull, thuddy tones, but now I favour my P bass with flats! This is just sat around not getting the attention it deserves.

According to the Fender website, this was made between 2002 and 2004, and there are the usual scars and scratches, but as always, these look far worse in the pictures than they do in the flesh.

There are significant mods (some done by me, some before I got it).[list]
[*]The horrible lump of [s]snake-oil[/s] metal known as a Badass bridge has been swapped for a Gotoh. This was done by a previous owner, so I don't have the original bridge. However, I have added threaded saddles from the Fender vintage style bridge; I've always found these great for getting string spacing perfect.
[*]The tuners have been swapped for Hipshots; again, this was done before I bought the bass, so I don't have the originals.
[*]I swapped the pups for the Fender Custom Shop 60's set - they're a little hotter than the pups which were in the bass, but still relatively polite when compared to modern hot pickups. Basically they just have a bit more growl than the originals, but retain all the lovely top-end. I don't have the original pups as they've been sold.
[*]Finally, I fitted a push-pull pot on the tone knob which switches the pickups between series and parallel. It doesn't effect the look or functionality of the bass in any way if it's not used, but pulling it out puts the bass into series which boosts the lower mids and makes it sound a bit more like a precision.
[/list]
The bass has new Rotosound nickel rounds on it, and will come with a Fender gigbag. As I only have a gigbag, I cannot courier this. Collection would be from Derby, although I work in Nottingham. Of course I'm happy to deliver (within reason) as long as you send a little petrol money my way.

[attachment=136983:IMG_6693.JPG][attachment=136984:IMG_6696.JPG][attachment=136985:IMG_6699.JPG][attachment=136986:IMG_6701.JPG]
[attachment=136987:IMG_6704.JPG][attachment=136988:IMG_6713.JPG][attachment=136989:IMG_6718.JPG]

Edited by guybrush threepwood

I just got my first ever GL jazzer recently and these are amazingly good basses. Rather unfortunately, I'm struggling to play it as a result of a medical thingie at the moment.

However, I can't help think that the Geddy Lee tag misrepresents that this is, fundamentally, a superb bass from Fender. As someone who has owned and played around 35-40 jazzers since I began in the 70's, this is simply one of the best.

They look fabulous, sound brilliant and play beautifully - the necks a dream!

£400 quid's a steal. Good luck with your sale.

Thanks Lysdexia, they are great. I went on a jazz bass mission after lusting after a friend's 1982 jazz. I've had 3 US standards, a Mexican 70s classic, a roadworn and 2 CIJ 62 reissues. They were all good basses, some were great, but none were quite as good as this 82 jazz - and that wasn't for sale! I got this and I was blown away; it's the only one which is [i]better [/i]than the 82. There's just something about it... However, every time I play it now, it just seems too much; my style of bass playing has changed a lot over the last few years, and to sum it up, I guess I like to sit under the mix now, rather than cut through it. I've fallen out of love with jazz basses, but fallen in love with thumpy flat-equipped precision basses. Something I never thought would happen.

Manfred, the bass looks great and I've heard very good things about Warmoth, but (as you can tell from the preceding paragraph) it's just not my bag. I've got my P-bass and my upright, I think I'm good for basses.

I've got one of these and they're awesome, the neck is one of the best I've ever played. I've not got particularly long fingers and it's made playing much easier. If anybody's pondering one of these this is a bargain. Good luck with the sale.

[quote name='V2factoryman' timestamp='1372192006' post='2122767']
I've got one of these and they're awesome, the neck is one of the best I've ever played. I've not got particularly long fingers and it's made playing much easier. If anybody's pondering one of these this is a bargain. Good luck with the sale.
[/quote]

Agreed!
I like them so much I have two! :D