Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The 'secret' of a great bass sound?

Skol303

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='iceonaboy' timestamp='1371126434' post='2110111']
I cant see how the way you play makes much difference. I mean, the only real change you can make is to attack. Same with a pick. You cant change a sound by plucking the string a different way. There only is one way to pluck a string. The only difference is how hard you pluck it. Possibly, a finger nail being slightly longer might make a slight difference, but I still think its a load of bollocks that you can change your sound drastically by playing" differently"
[/quote]

I think the point is that much of what people perceive as "tone" isn't really - its nuances of technique timing and phrasing.

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1371114918' post='2109895']
Great quote from producer/songwriter Ethan Johns in the current issue of Sound On Sound magazine:

"The only way, in my opinion, to get a great bass sound is to have a great-sounding bass player... People hear Danny Thompson's bass sound and they go, 'Can you get me that sound?' And the answer is, 'No, I can't.' It's the way he plays it..."

So, more time practicing and less time spent GASsing for me ;)
[/quote]

It is an odd one to work out really , as an engineer the 'great sound' he is after would probably one of consistency of timing and volume with the ideal tone for the job in hand , together with an ability to provide it quickly and effectively , and all that probably requires a quality player .

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1371305089' post='2112378']
I think the point is that much of what people perceive as "tone" isn't really - its nuances of technique timing and phrasing.
[/quote]
And the "nuances of technique timing and phrasing." can absolutely effect the "tone". And by "tone" I'm not talking [i]treble and bass[/i].

[quote name='spacey' timestamp='1371331184' post='2112729']
A very long lead, play out front in soundcheck , go back on stage and alter the amp, go back out front.
Once happy, try to live with the "on stage sound".
Often when you get that tone on stage, it sounds dull out front.
[/quote]

You lose all your tone with very long cable as any fule no.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1371318933' post='2112591']
And the "nuances of technique timing and phrasing." can absolutely effect the "tone". And by "tone" I'm not talking [i]treble and bass[/i].
[/quote]

Indeed I'm sure many of us have played in cover bands and used same actual sound (as in bass/amp settings) work for well for disperate material. For example I used to play mettalica and gentle 12 bar blues songs and get an appropriate "tone" for both without changing anything other than the way I play i.e. aggressive belting of the strings nearer the bridge vs light thumb downstrokes near the neck, in another band I used to play thumpy motown and slapped func all using the same exact amp and bass setup as above.

So in addition to the obvious technique difference I think there is some psychology in play that makes people perceive the "tone" differently depending on the style of music.

Edited by bassman7755