Why become a member? ×

Jazz standards for an Audition

ML94

Hi

hi I'm looking for 1 jazz standard to perform at an audition next year for university and wanted some advice. At the moment I have kind of got Blue bossa, autumn leaves and Spain under my fingers and now experimenting with different scale choices, chord scales and so on. Blue bossa and autumn leaves are typical and used a lot for auditions as I've read all over the net.

I wanted to know if there are some other Latin, swing standards that are med/up tempo and have a 'buzz' to them if you know what I mean? Just something that'll keep you on your toes whilst soloing!

open to all opinions !!

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1371050026' post='2109136']
All The Things You Are

Have You Met Miss Jones
[/quote]

i was thinking about all the things you are but there are so many versions on the tube. Any recommendations bilbo ?

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1371055792' post='2109263']
Moon dance?

On a more serious note, four on six is a good one although maybe not an iconic standard :)
[/quote]

I don't think there looking for set in stone standards , nice choice

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1371059541' post='2109341']
I'd have some more modal stuff up your sleeve too - So What springs to mind.
[/quote]

Would you reccomend so what just to show i can play modally as well as playing around one key type of thing ?

I have done audition this year and they usually want to see you walking over changes and play head and improv All the things you are is good but have look what do they advice even try to get lesson with the lecturer from where you want to apply.

[quote name='matejj53' timestamp='1371164871' post='2110872']
I have done audition this year and they usually want to see you walking over changes and play head and improv All the things you are is good but have look what do they advice even try to get lesson with the lecturer from where you want to apply.
[/quote]

Where did you audition for ?

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1371290353' post='2112144']
Have a listen to Ray Brown on Oscar Peterson's [i]We Get Requests[/i] album from 1964. Sublime!
[/quote]

Couldn't agree more - and then he breaks into a walk: super sublime!

Will your audition piece be accompanied, to a backing track or just you? If just you, you could consider starting with a simple blues or rhythm changes sequence and then developing it over the following choruses. That would demonstrate not only your ability to play the instrument but also your improvisational skills.

I did in Birmingham. All they wanted is good solid well thought walking and then I had to play melody and improvise over as much as you can. I started with head twice after I was walking and piano was improvising than just comping for couple of choruses and than head again and finish. Prepare some tune and work on it everyday and play over in more keys they want you to improvise and not looking for scale over all neck but they want you to know the tune very well so you can play it with closed eyes...
Where are you auditioning?

I advice you to book a lesson with the tutor from course you want to study and have private lesson and he will explain you what they watch out for. They want you to play well don't forget. And study piece the best thing is transcription (your own) of the solo or head. Imagine something like Donna Lee but no Dnna Lee, I did Portrait Of Tracy and I had 2 consultation later and the tutor said that was wrong and I should go for jazz standard. I dod not have bass player in audience so you know they want something what is actually useful. He told me just try to spend time in learning tunes that you are actually going
to play in future so you don't waste time with stuff you are not going to use.

[quote name='matejj53' timestamp='1371576897' post='2115802']
I did in Birmingham. All they wanted is good solid well thought walking and then I had to play melody and improvise over as much as you can. I started with head twice after I was walking and piano was improvising than just comping for couple of choruses and than head again and finish. Prepare some tune and work on it everyday and play over in more keys they want you to improvise and not looking for scale over all neck but they want you to know the tune very well so you can play it with closed eyes...
Where are you auditioning?
[/quote]

i was looking at the conservatoires for jazz and LCOM for popular music. I thought 1 standard and a more technical peice showing my skills as a bass player would seal the deal. Any thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

Conservatoire for jazz- jazz standards walk and improvise ( you will have usually drummer and piano player, start with head that you play after that you walk and piano might solo or comp and then you solo and finish with head. As a solo peace they want you to play jazz, you need to know what you doing and understand peace , something like Donna lee but might be different. For lcom I'm not sure maybe some grade 8 trinity or rock school and I'm sure Donna lee would be good. Learn them very very well so you don't think the parts too much and enjoy the audition better you know the music and how to play your tunes less anxiety or nerves you will have. It is not what you play but how you play it there are many tunes to play