Why become a member? ×

Shipping a bass overseas

bassjamm

Hi guys and gals,

I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with shipping basses overseas? The reason i ask is that i have a few basses up for grabs and i've had some interest from a few guys in the EU...but i'm a bit sceptical about doing a transaction outside the UK.

Has anyone got any thoughts about it?

Many thanks
Jamie

I have shipped a cab and a combo within Europe (no basses as of yet) and havent had a problem. I always make sure the goods are insured for more than they are worth to put my mind at rest and try and package as well as I can. Obviously wait for payment before shipping anything and if you get any suspicions at all trust your gut instinct and dont do the deal.

Hope this helps,

Steve

ey up! sent a warwick to germany not 4 weeks ago- back to its homeland y'see, it had a midlife crisis. I digress.
I used interparcel.com , great site, easy to use and cheap too- it got insurance etc so you can make sure you're covered :). All you need to do it print off a label and attach it before they come and they'll pick it up off thee too. Can't go wrong :huh:

*edit* oddly enough its the one to my left. Really need to update my avatar...

Edited by josh3184

[quote name='bassjamm' post='212875' date='Jun 5 2008, 12:10 AM']That's helpful stuff Steve, thanks! Who did you get them shipped through? All the quotes i've had have been in excess of £100...is that right?[/quote]

That seems a lot, I got my modulus shipped from the states last year for way less than that.

I'd watch who I used, Fedex and UPS have been recommended by shops in the US.

I've had quotes from Fedex and Parcelforce, both came up with the same prices!

I think it's more of a mental thing at the moment...it's not like i'm shipping a cheap instrument...my basses are high end, and i don't like the risks attached to shipping them! I guess folks do it day in day out though! I guess i could always get in touch with a shop to send it on my behalf if needs be?

I dunno!!!

Keep the thoughts coming though please!

Jamie

[quote name='bassjamm' post='212875' date='Jun 5 2008, 12:10 AM']That's helpful stuff Steve, thanks! Who did you get them shipped through? All the quotes i've had have been in excess of £100...is that right?[/quote]

I think I used UPS both times for the cabs and can't remember how much it was but £100 does seem a lot for a bass. I seem to remember that I DID ship a bass to Portugal for bassaussie a couple of years ago and I think if I recall correctly it cost about £60 but I could be wrong. Incidentally he shipped one to me on a seperate occasion and took off the neck and sent two parcels which I think would be cheaper if its bolt on. I think I used parcelforce for the bass.

EDIT: I shipped a cab in THIS country to Garbev and he recommended Citylink via [url="http://www.parcel2go.com/"]http://www.parcel2go.com/[/url] and they were a pretty decent price and it arrived safe and sound and they appear to ship to Europe as well.

Steve

Edited by birdy

[quote name='birdy' post='212900' date='Jun 5 2008, 01:12 AM']I think I used UPS both times for the cabs and can't remember how much it was but £100 does seem a lot for a bass. I seem to remember that I DID ship a bass to Portugal for bassaussie a couple of years ago and I think if I recall correctly it cost about £60 but I could be wrong. Incidentally he shipped one to me on a seperate occasion and took off the neck and sent two parcels which I think would be cheaper if its bolt on. I think I used parcelforce for the bass.

EDIT: I shipped a cab in THIS country to Garbev and he recommended Citylink via [url="http://www.parcel2go.com/"]http://www.parcel2go.com/[/url] and they were a pretty decent price and it arrived safe and sound and they appear to ship to Europe as well.

Steve[/quote]

Thanks for that mate!

I've heard of taking the neck off...not sure i fancy that! I'm not master luthier, i can hardly fit a screw without threading it, let alone take apart a bass...unless it were via destructive means :) Still...it's worth considering, thank you!

I sent my custom hybrid 8 string to spain and it was fine. All in a hardcase and packaged nicely it cost about £70 with interparcel with insurance for £1400 or something.

I always make sure i have a few emails and their contact details and speak with the other person on the phone (A land line if possible) and when going through paypal i get them to send an invoice through first.

[quote name='bassjamm' post='212858' date='Jun 4 2008, 11:47 PM']Hi guys and gals,

I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with shipping basses overseas? The reason i ask is that i have a few basses up for grabs and i've had some interest from a few guys in the EU...but i'm a bit sceptical about doing a transaction outside the UK.

Has anyone got any thoughts about it?

Many thanks
Jamie[/quote]

I usaed MBE (Mail Boxes Europe) to ship a Wal to Germany for £110 - they'll collect it and pack it for you.
Very good service.

Rhino.

I shipped a bass to Romania (EU) via UPS and it cost £100. The bass arrived safe but there was hassle as they scr*wed up the collection day and then relabelled it at some depot which caused hassle for the recipient as he was asked to pay for the delivery.

£100 is about the going rate for a bass insured for delivery from the UK to within the EU. HOWEVER... if receiving basses from the EU into UK I've paid as little as £18 (from Germany) and an average of no more than £30!