Why become a member? ×

What Pedal...

Dubs

Hi everyone. My sister's going to New York for a holiday this summer and I want her to pick me up a pedal that would be quite rare and expensive to acquire this side of the pond. I’m going to give her about $150 to $200 but I’ve got no real idea of what I want her to get me.
Has anyone got any ideas? I’ve thought about a Pickle Pie Bass maybe but I’ve already got a sh*t load of fuzz. Maybe it doesn’t have to be a pedal – some sort of cool bass related gadget? I just really want to take advantage of her going over there and getting me something cheaper than it would cost here as our transatlantic counterparts are lucky enough to enjoy a drastically reduced RRP on loads of American made gear.

i think the best thing you could buy in US to save money would certainly be a bass, but i guess thats impractical.

pickle pie's appear quite common over here, and arnt cheaper in the us as far as i know, so that would be a waste.

i dunno really, maybe just search online for umit and give her instructions? nothing in particular springs to mind

I bought back with me a Sansamp Bass Driver. In 2005 it cost me the same in dollars as it would have done in pounds over here ...$179. It has proven to be a good buy. I don't use it much, but when I do, it really is gets me out of a hole. Nice thing to have in your gig bag, just in case.

I really want a Tech21 VT Bass from the US, especially as they'll be around £150 when they arrive here and are only $150 over there. It's meant to kick the arse out of the regular Sansamp tonewise. I've been trying to get one delivered but everywhere's out of stock until July. In fact, if she can find any get her to grab as many as possible and sell them onto us lot for a small profit! :)

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='212943' date='Jun 5 2008, 08:48 AM']I really want a Tech21 VT Bass from the US, especially as they'll be around £150 when they arrive here and are only $150 over there. It's meant to kick the arse out of the regular Sansamp tonewise. I've been trying to get one delivered but everywhere's out of stock until July. In fact, if she can find any get her to grab as many as possible and sell them onto us lot for a small profit! :)[/quote]

After a small bit of ‘desktop research’ the VT Bass has me really interested now. Are you talking about the character series one? I don’t know if there’s another type because I’ve never looked into these before…what’s the difference in this compared to the ‘regular’ SansAmp?

This is what Tech 21 have to say about it - [url="http://www.tech21nyc.com/character_series.html"]http://www.tech21nyc.com/character_series.html[/url]

Thanks for the idea – at the moment this is #1 on my hit list

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='212943' date='Jun 5 2008, 08:48 AM']I really want a Tech21 VT Bass from the US, especially as they'll be around £150 when they arrive here and are only $150 over there.[/quote]
Coincidence - I just saw this on Tech21's site while looking for a different pedal. The Bass Player review linked from there makes it sounds like it does a good job of emulating a SVT, then goes a lot further with EQ etc.

They're off to a good start with me by invoking names like Yes and King Crimson in their marketing: I've been playing a lot of them this week, including John Wetton's thunderous work on Crimson's [i]Larks' Tongues in Aspic[/i]. WOOF! :)

I just pre-ordered one from Wymore Guitars over the other side of the pond. The guy has 10 on order and will get them at the end of June. $150 + $27 delivery!

It doesn't have the DI output like the Sansamp but to me that's a bonus as I want to run delay and modulation after the amp sim, I'm thinking EHX Stereo Memory Man, then into a stereo Radial DI box. A common complaint of the Sansamp Bass Driver is the scooped mids resulting in getting lost in the mix, but this pedal is supposed to fix that with it's dedicated mids knob, and can do sounds ranging from hard distorted metal to clean motown fliptop.