Why become a member? ×

Mildly concerned

Owencf

Hmmm i have just been giving my bass an eyeball over and found a seam opening in the left hand C bout
See below

the gap dont go all the way through but there is a small amount of splintering on the inside where the seam is letting loose.
unable to take a photo at this point in time.

I know it is a Laminated bass so pretty sturdy but its the only one ive got.

Whats your thoughts?

[quote name='fatgoogle' timestamp='1370937192' post='2107540']
I Know a guy whos had gaffa tape over a small seam split for about two years now. He's just lazy.
[/quote]

Ha :)

Whatever you do, don't be tempted to fix it with normal wood glue or superglue.

[quote name='steve' timestamp='1370893231' post='2107127']
you could always pick up some hide glue and a couple of clamps and have a go yourself?
[/quote]
This is what I've done - a couple of these clamps [url="http://www.mehr-als-werkzeug.de/product/705708/Boxwood-Gluing-Clamp-Bass.htm"]http://www.mehr-als-werkzeug.de/product/705708/Boxwood-Gluing-Clamp-Bass.htm[/url] and some hide glue I cadged off my brother (who is a guitar builder) and I'm set up to reglue my seams any time I need to. I play an older bass, and the occasional popped seam seems to be part of the package. It wouldn't be hard to devise your own clamps with some threaded rod either.

Unless you clean the old glue off, you will be re-sticking dry brittle glue back to dry brittle glue and will more than likely just crack again very quickly.

A re-glue will be a first aid repair and may last for a good long while ...but its very possible that it will open up again as the bass adjusts to winter / summer humidity and you might find that the problem commutes somewhere else - basses are like that !.

Looks to me from the photos that its not the first time that its opened and there is quiet some thickness to the glue joint - its not uncommon though but you want to make sure that it doesn't spread - the vibrations of the top when you play will encourage the joint to widen as the whole instrument resonates.

I do suppose that I could start doing my own small repairs.
I do suppose that I could start doing my own small repairs.However as Ubassman suggested it might be a little more indepth than a quick fixMight have to look into a service for it.Might be strip down time.I guess that could cost some.