Why become a member? ×

1963 Precision (OW refin) * SOLD *
£2900

Clarky

I had this up for sale a month or two back and then withdrew it. I've had a change of heart and its back up FS again. I want to thin the herd and raise some cash so please don't beat me up about it! Anyhow [size=4]I got this beauty in 2011 via BCer Si Clifton who had been on the lookout for a year-of-birth 1963 Precision for me. Si[/size] found a stripped 63P in the US, all original bar the paint, and had it refinned in vintage white nitro to my spec. The tort scratchplate (which I have still) unfortunately was unusable (rock hard, warped, cracked etc) so I took it off and added a real celluloid 60s pattern tort scratchplate from the US. The neck is incredibly smooth (all lacquer worn away so it almost feels waxed) and the rosewood board is so dark it looks like ebony (all the clay dots are in place). The bass weighs 9.26 pounds and sound engineers rave about its tone. Bar the refin and scratchplate its all original (it has both chrome covers still) but doesn't have the original case. Action is medium/low (3mm at 12th fret) and truss rod in perfect working order. Date stamp on heel (see pic) shows Oct 1963.

I am valuing this bass at £2900, which is £200 less than I paid for it in 2011 as I recognise that was a top-of-the-market price. I am in London. Handover in person preferred but I will post at cost. If I do manage to sell this I may well order an aged fretted 'B' width neck to be made by Howard (Bass Doc) for my 1970/1 P fretless (so I have the choice of fretted or fretless P).

A few pics from when I got the bass (will add recent ones later today when I get to my wife's PC, where they are stored; alternatively I have pics on an email so PM me for them). Note that it came with a replacement tort guard which was very inauthentic and I quickly ditched in favour of a vintage-correct celluloid scratchplate that I imported from the US. As stated i still have the knackered original tort plate too.

[attachment=136440:63P.jpg][attachment=136438:hoot.JPG][attachment=136439:butt.JPG]

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1370622320' post='2103637']
Shock, horror! I never thought you'd move this on Clarky. What a great price.
[/quote]
Expensive year for the family (18th, 21st and my 50th all in next two months) and I have more gear than I actually need

I should have added that this is a fund raiser so no trades thanks

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1370622524' post='2103641']

Expensive year for the family (18th, 21st and my 50th all in next two months)
[/quote]Bummer. I have the wife and daughters within 3 days of each other, fortunately no 'biggies' coincide.

[quote name='Brams77' timestamp='1370640674' post='2103977']
Oh my oh my!!!!
This is by fa r the most good looking bass ive seen in fs this year... WOW
Why cant I have them all... Aaarghhh;)

Have a bump on me my friend!
[/quote]

You're right Bram,
Always wanted a P-bass of my year of birth, really want this..... need cash....it's not fair!
Have another bump on me!

[quote name='Brams77' timestamp='1370680327' post='2104239'] Hey clarkey, what kind of strings are on that bass, I never seen these purple silk ends... Bass sounds amazing too! [/quote]
Hey there. They are Pyramid Gold flatwound strings http://www.thomann.de/gb/pyramid_gold_flatwound_ebasssaiten.htm as played in the early 70s by Grateful Dead (link here: http://www.pyramidstrings.com/art4.html). Very worn-in feel from opening the packet, very flexible and deep sounding with a very thumpy (some think dull-sounding) E string. I like them a lot as they are a bit higher tension than TI flats and feel and sound great immediately (where's TIs and LaBellas take a few months to sound at their best IME)

Ooops forgot, here is the original knackered scratchplate - you could screw it on but it sticks out and is cracked and warped badly ... and a bodged attempt to fix it with glue (near the pickup) is clearly visible. Could be sold on for repairs to broken or cracked 60s scratchplates so its probably worth something

[attachment=136532:DSCF0328.JPG]

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1370783423' post='2105438']
Phew!
Was getting worried for my bank account there! Lol

Si
[/quote]you could always have raised several grand by selling on a small proportion of your pedal collection, Si!