Why become a member? ×

1973 Rickenbacker 4001 question

bigd1

Does anyone use a Stereo Rama to get the full use of a Rickenbacker bass ? I have a 73 4001 that until recently I have not played very much. When I do use the bass I plug my amp lead into the top socket, letting me use both pickups with one lead.
Is the sound any different if you use a Stereo Rama when only running through one amp, is this bit of kit only of use if you want to run your bass in stereo ?.

Ta very glad
BIGd

There are two Rickenbacker forums that have many threads on the subject. The factory forum: [url="http://www.rickenbacker.com/forum"]http://www.rickenbacker.com/forum[/url] and the enthusiasts' website, [url="http://www.rickresource.com/forum"]http://www.rickresource.com/forum[/url] .

[quote name='bigd1' timestamp='1370460462' post='2101365']
Does anyone use a Stereo Rama to get the full use of a Rickenbacker bass ? I have a 73 4001 that until recently I have not played very much. When I do use the bass I plug my amp lead into the top socket, letting me use both pickups with one lead.
Is the sound any different if you use a Stereo Rama when only running through one amp, is this bit of kit only of use if you want to run your bass in stereo ?.

Ta very glad
BIGd
[/quote]

Hello mate, long time, hope all's well. I used to use the stereo box (still have it somewhere), but to be honest it doesn't really do a whole lot that you can't do with good EQ unless you're looking to run FX from one PUP and clean signal from the other. I tried hard to justify using a stereo rig but all things considered, there are easier ways :)

C

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1370461292' post='2101385']
It's not really stereo though is it? it just allows you to route each pickup to a separate amp. Or am I missing something?
[/quote]

As I was informed on here a while back, that is stereo, i.e., two different signals (although the same notes), one to each side. I didn't think it was either, but the source was, shall we say, impeccable :)

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1370461447' post='2101390']
As I was informed on here a while back, that is stereo, i.e., two different signals (although the same notes), one to each side. I didn't think it was either, but the source was, shall we say, impeccable :)
[/quote] Initials JH by any chance <_<

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1370461083' post='2101379']
Hello mate, long time, hope all's well. I used to use the stereo box (still have it somewhere), but to be honest it doesn't really do a whole lot that you can't do with good EQ unless you're looking to run FX from one PUP and clean signal from the other. I tried hard to justify using a stereo rig but all things considered, there are easier ways :)

C
[/quote]
Well Ow Do, I kind of thought that was the case, I wont be carting 2 rigs around so I think you have helped me made my mind up.

Thanks
D

I used to own a 70's Ric myself and used to have fun using the stereo feature, by having the neck pickup going out fat and clean through my bass amp and the thinner sounding bridge pickup going through an 80w guitar amp sat on top with various different effects going through it over time. Great fun when jamming for fun but it was a novelty I never really found a place for with any bands I was in at the time to be honest.