Why become a member? ×

Recommendations please - good value practice combo.

Kiwi

Its been a long time since I've shopped for a practice combo. Budget is flexible at the moment but other criteria include:

Neutral sound, i.e. no colour, must sound good with more than just fender designs.
Compact - Speaker should be no more than a 12" cone and an easy one hand carry over a 10 minute walk but capable of going down to 50Hz
Wedge tiltback - so I don't have to elevate the amp to hear it.

Let me know what you think? :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Kiwi, I used to have a Hartke A35 bass amp as a practice amp. But I have sold it a couple of months ago and bought myself one of teh EBS Session 60 amps. It has awedge shape and copes with the low B on my Celinder very well. I think that EBS amp do tend to have a sound of their own whhcih I guess you might not like but to my ears the amp porduces a lovely balanced sound. I was so pleased with the sound that I found myself selling my Genx Benz Stremliner and buying an EBS HD 350 amp to go wiht my Vanderkley cabs. I'd recommend that you have a go at one of these EBS amp and see if it is what you want. There are a few reviews on YouTube but they don't do it justice (in my view!). Alan

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1369946744' post='2094925']
Its been a long time since I've shopped for a practice combo. Budget is flexible at the moment but other criteria include:

Neutral sound, i.e. no colour, must sound good with more than just fender designs.
Compact - Speaker should be no more than a 12" cone and an easy one hand carry over a 10 minute walk but capable of going down to 50Hz
Wedge tiltback - so I don't have to elevate the amp to hear it.

Let me know what you think? :)
[/quote]

The Markbass CMD121P is not tilt-back, but it covers all other bases with applomb, and it's quite easy to use it as a tilt-back either by using one of MB's own foldable wedge accessories or a traditional metal foldable contraption typically used for small guitar combos to... allow them to tilt. I have one of the latter, works great.

I have owned mine for just over a month and I can't believe I didn't buy one sooner.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1371061865' post='2109403']
Agree with mcnach, the CMD121P is a great amp, and although a little wearing on a 10min walk, it`s doable.
[/quote]

it just needs straps to carry it on your back ;)