Why become a member? ×

My Double Bass Teacher is like a drug dealer!

bassfunk

Hey Guys

I (like a lot of guys here) recently bought a Stagg EDB. I'm really enjoying playing and played it in front of an audience for the first time on Thursday which was great!

Anyway, I've been having lessons from a guy from RNCM and he's great. You can tell he really thinks about the lesson and he's really encouraging. But he's just brought round a brand new Antoni debut Double bass a friend of his is selling. He's told me I can hold on to it for the next couple of weeks to see if I like it, and can work out a way of paying him!

My wife is gonna kill me :o He want's £500 plus it comes with a fishman full circle and the bow that comes with these things. I know the bass is probably worth £300 - £350 and the full circle is worth around £200? so £500 seems reasonable. It seems to be nice and loud and it feels great having the full body of a 'real' bass resting on me while I try and blag fever :)

Is this a good deal? should I take it? I guess I can sell the Stagg and then get the rest of the money together. I know the Antoni's aren't the best but Are the good enough for me to start with? I'm starting a Jazz thing with a singer friend of mine so I guess I'm gonna look better playing a real DB rather than the 'stick'?

Help! I'm excited and scared at the same time!

Edited by bassfunk

Cheers Bilbo, I've been trying to figure out a way of getting a DB and this thing just lands in my lap! It must be a sign!

Pete - I've followed your threads with great interest as I was just a couple of weeks behind you. Any questions I had I just went through the threads and found the answer! So this is all your fault :D Anyway - I'd ideally like to keep the Stagg. my music room is very small so the stag and headphones is perfect! and at my gig on Thursday loads of people were really interested in it. But unless I can think of a way to make up the £200 I think I'm going to have to sell. Especially as the missus can't understand why I need so many basses - I only have two EBs and the Stagg!

I think I'm going to have to do some serious convincing when she comes back from visiting her folks tomorrow B)

[quote name='fatback' timestamp='1369645623' post='2091084']
A playable bass for £500 with a Full Circle and recommended by a teacher? If you were looking for a bass you'd wait a long time for that.[/quote]

+1 - Absolutely, you could wait years for a deal like that to come along. Even playable basses for £500 are difficult to come by, but with a Fishman full Circle as well and properly set up...

Stagg EUBs move easily as a lot of folk who are attracted to the idea of double bass see it as a bridge then either give it up or go the whole way and go for the real deal. My thoughts were that I knew I would regret not buying a double bass if I went half the way.

Internet prices on the Debut are between £450 and £550 (list is £699) so on the face of it this a good deal. I would however play it a fair bit before splashing the cash. The neck is chunky, as standard there is little relief on the fingerboard, the tailpiece is a big chunk of iron and the strings are nothing to right home about (can't comment on the bow as I've never had the Antoni one). On the plus side all the above are solvable withe the judicious application of cash. For me the issue would be what do you want it for and does it fit that bill. if so then it's probably a go, if the limitations are going to grate in the near future then either be prepared to spend some dosh or look for a bass that's already been through that mill.

Steve

Good point on the strings - be sure to ask what strings are on it. A good set of strings is anywhere from £80 (I don't know how Innovation make good strings for those prices but they do) to £250 or more, so getting a good set of strings rather than whatever came stock on the bass would add a lot of value to the deal.

Thanks for all of your comments guys. All valid points, I have a set of super silvers on the stagg so I'll just stick them on the db, might have to get the nut and bridge filed though? Does anybody know how much a basic set up is likely to cost? I'm aware that as I get more confident I'll want to change and upgrade things etc. The neck does feel a little chunky (the p bass equivalent of a DB if that makes sense?) and the G string is set too low. If anybody on here is able to make these adjustments etc and lives in the Manchester area I'd be happy to pay them and grateful for a 2nd opinion!

I'd budget £100 for a setup, but there may be no hurry with that. Also, if you spent £900 on a bass, you'd still probably need a setup at some point. I wouldn't be put off by it.

I know when i got my bass I felt i had to do everything at once, but it wasn't really necessary. You'll save a lot of cash in pickup experiments by having that Full Circle.