Why become a member? ×

Does anyone else, sort of, 'flick' the strings when plucking?

gafbass02

I've noticed I sort of, 'flick' the strings away when plucking, so I do the pluck part, then play another note with a flick. It's hard to explain so I shot a quick mobile clip, it's not plugged, (well it it is, but im wearing headphones) tv is on, kids are yelling, the playing is erratic and out of time, but it was just to capture the moment of what I was doing while I noticed I do it, before I forgot!
I just wanted to ask really, if it has a name, is it commonplace etc?
Pure idle curiosity, I just happen to notice its part of how I play. Think I'm playing 'James Dean' from a set I play, I've no idea who it's by and I've never heard the original.
http://youtu.be/i5f9qYfhTJQ

Edited by gafbass02

I hope you dont mind my giving some unasked for suggestions/comments. They are meant
as constructive advice. :)

IMO you need to work on your general R/H technique. Your hand does not seem to be relaxed.
It is very jerky and all over the place. Furthermore, the wrist is bent which can be a recipe for physical
problems at a later time, if not corrected. There are lots of videos on You Tube about this, IMO the
best of which are by Scott Devine. You could try a search.

Edited by Coilte

;) Very kind, and there's always much to learn, however I've been playing constantly for over twenty years and am pretty happy with my technique on the whole. The video is just a quick snap shot quickly grabbed at the kitchen table, so not a great representation of my playing or style, it's just to snag the flicky thing while I thought to notice it. ;)
I was balancing something on my knee too I think, to stop it being grabbed by a toddler. Edited by gafbass02