Why become a member? ×

Darkglass fanboy witterings

hamfist

Well, I've been through a shed load of gear over the last year or two, and rehearsing last night with my new (used) B3K was a revelation. What do they put in this thing, it must be illegal it's so good. It was hard to get a bad sound out of it with a precision bass. What ever amp settings you use there's this grunty, gnarliness somewhere in upper mids, lower treble area (I have struggled to accurately define what is actually going on, hence my suspicions about magic of some kind). For modern rock-based music it is utterly unbeatable. I have used so, so many other quality similar dirt box out there and nothing else does it like this one.
I had a B7K in the past, which I liked a lot, but didn't play a P bass at the time. One of these Darkglass B?K's with a P is incredible though.
That is all.

[quote name='Ant' timestamp='1368707245' post='2080409']
you should try the vintage microtubes! i can never turn it off!
[/quote]

I did. Not my thing at all. Souded all woolly and, well, "vintage" to me. Not my thing.

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1368714654' post='2080574']
I did. Not my thing at all. Souded all woolly and, well, "vintage" to me. Not my thing.
[/quote]

ahh fair enough, yeah it is pretty warm & vintage sounding on its own, i have a massive 1khz mid boost before mine, which made my bass a bit harsh sounding without the vintage to soften up the drive

I'd be interested in a Vintage Microtubes with B7K-type upgrades. I havn't tried one but from the sound samples i'v heard it didn't fill me with the excitement the B*K did, and still does :)

Wasn't a fan of the B3K myself - found it a tad too bright and there was no way to tame it, which is why many end up going for the B7K I guess. Tempted to try a Vintage but the latest version of the SFT has pretty much relieved me of all overdrive GAS for now! The B3K is great for modern heavy rock or metal with it's agressive cutting tone, but I prefer a more classic Ampeggy sound with a P!

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='BigBassBob' timestamp='1368731395' post='2080915']
Please let me know how it is! I'm excited to get one but at the same time I'm going to cry myself to sleep if it doesn't have the same magic as the B3K I sold to hamfist.
[/quote]

I had the B3K and I liked it but I found it a tad too bright for my liking so I ended up selling it, I now have the B7K and...it's awesome!
The EQ controls take it to a whole new level, you can pretty much get any sound you want out of it, from vintage to more modern and cutting overdriven/distorted tones. Yo can also use it, if you wish as a clean preamp.....well worth the extra money.
Plus it makes the rest of my pedals sound much better when I run them through the B7K.

I read on Talkbass that the OD circuits are identical with the active 4 band and D.I. after it so I hope it sounds the same flat. The main reasons I'm upgrading are:

1. Ability to fine tune the tone a bit more with the EQ.
2. Ability to use it as an EQ boost when the blend is down.
3. Convenient placement on the board (it will literally fit just fit on comfortably and looking neat at the end of the chain so the D.I. and buffered switch are an added bonus for me).

Edited by BigBassBob

Quite! I could get lovely sounds out of the B3K no matter what my amp settings. You can manipulate its tone even further if you EQ its sound (either at bass or amp).

I recorded this using an active P bass with DEAD roundwounds (treble boosted) into the B3K to an old Hartke 20 watt combo (8 inch speaker) mic'd with a cheap SM58 copy > PC. Not an ideal recording setup.

It's a very repetitive song but I'd recommend skipping to the middle 8 if you get bored. You can hear how the pedal's timbre accents heavier pick attacks tastefully. The gain is set deceptively high which goes to show how well this pedal can punch through with a butt load of dirt. Apologies for sloppy parts, I'm not a pick player primarily but that is no excuse :)

https://soundcloud.com/bigbassbob/madcapsb3mmp3