Why become a member? ×

odd rustling noise on open E string on my Pbass special

i got a rustling noise on my bass ocassionally, Turns out it was a dodgy pot. Maybe thats it. Im going based on the rustling noise you describe.

On the offchance its more of a vibraty sound, it could be a loose saddle screw. Add some superglue to it and it should stop vibrating.

I picked up the bass today after winning it on ebay last night.

Gave it a full service

set relief
set string heights
set intonation
cleaned pots and oiled them (they no longer crackle)

it is just E string when open makes a rustling noise when played open, I have checked saddle screws and all fine..

A couple of things to check are:

Are the "nuts" on the front of the bass head that hold the tuner into the head, tight?
Does the E string have enough of a sharp angle as it goes over the nut? Having the string wound as low on the tuner can help this.
Is the nut loose?
When you play the E and press on the string at the nut does the "rustling" stop?

Also check that the spring for the E string on the intonation adjustment on the bridge is not just a bit loose and vibratory on that low E.

I'm really surprised, though, that you have not found the problem to be either the nut or the tuner, as I'd put money on it being in that area. Have you tried pressing down [u]and to the side[/u] on the E string behind the nut when you play the note. Initially my gut reaction was that it was probably a loose nut slot.

You say you have set the relief, are you certain the truss rod nut is 'tightened' so the truss rod is under tension? If it's loose there could be a vibration setting in at the head end of the rod.

I did take the truss rod nut out and inspect it and oil slightly and then put back together as I was under the impression it was probably the issue but to no avail, I swapped the E string for a spare and if I am honest it felt like the noise was reduced marginally but still there to some degree.

[quote name='rallyeluke' timestamp='1368781079' post='2081340']
The relief has been set to fender specs, the intonation has been set on all 4 strings so bridge springs are all compressed to varying degrees.
[/quote]
[quote name='rallyeluke' timestamp='1368781345' post='2081349']
I did take the truss rod nut out and inspect it and oil slightly and then put back together as I was under the impression it was probably the issue but to no avail, I swapped the E string for a spare and if I am honest it felt like the noise was reduced marginally but still there to some degree.
[/quote]
You haven't answered the question though :rolleyes:

[quote name='rallyeluke' timestamp='1368782470' post='2081365']
I pushed down against the nut sideways and down and still the noise persists
[/quote]
Do you mean you've pressed against the 'string nut'?

I'm asking if the truss rod adjuster nut is tight?

Tried changing the string with new ?

Have you adjusted the pickup height ? just a thought, but are the foam pads in place, doing their job, or have they gone flat and hard ? Probably prove it by loosening the screws a bit and pushing the pups down to see if they spring back

Edited by BILL POSTERS

I've had this problem twice in the past.

Fender tuning heads often get a tiny bit bent, 1/2mm is enough to create noise. If the noise stops when you pinch the tuner a nd play the E string open(could be any of them) then find one that looks like it could do with an adjustment.

Sometimes the one you pinch (and get the noise to stop) isnt the one that needs adjusting.... just to confuse you!!

Edited by Chiliwailer