Why become a member? ×

Will these go together?

Judo Chop

I need to buy a new amp and cab since my Marshall lost the will to live the other day, and I've decided on an Orange Bass Terror 500

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/gallien-krueger-410mbe-800-watt-4x10-bass-speaker-cabinet-(4-ohm/66801

And this GK cab:

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/gallien-krueger-410mbe-800-watt-4x10-bass-speaker-cabinet-(4-ohm/66801

Quite a lightweight combination which will be a nice change from lugging my big heavy Marshall about. I don't know anything about amps and cabs, watts and ohms etc. and reading into it just confused me even more so I thought I'd see if you lot could help me out. Basically what I'm asking is is it safe to use these together, and will I be getting the most out of the head putting it through that cab?

Cheers :)

Probably work fine, but might be able to do better on a cab. 4x10s are kind of obsolete, and neo loading them only goes so far. Since the Orange terror eq is mid cut only, you need midrange from the cab, and the 4x10 layout isn't ideal for getting midrange to your ears.

Shouldn't have any problems using that combination at all. I expect it might sound rather nice as well, but nobody knows that unless they've tried it. What Mr Foxen above me says is true though. A pair of vertically stacked 2x10s will be better than a 4x10, but people still use 4x10's and like them so...

Liam

Edited by LiamPodmore

[quote name='LiamPodmore' timestamp='1368578414' post='2078877']
Shouldn't have any problems using that combination at all. I expect it might sound rather nice as well, but nobody knows that unless they've tried it. What Mr Foxen above me says is true though. A pair of vertically stacked 2x10s will be better than a 4x10, but people still use 4x10's and like them so...

Liam
[/quote]

Think is the 4x10s heyday was along with heads with graphic eq, and other active mids, whilst the Orange EQ is a throwback to days when cabs did midrange, and pretty much nothing else.

I'd read that the Terror's mids were cut only, my EQ pedal should help with that though.
I'm going for a single light 4x10 to keep lifting to a minimum, my back was starting to hurt loading a 2x10 combo and 1x15 cabinet in and out of the car. I'm glad it broke in a way :lol:

I was interested in the isobaric Orange cabs, but the price scared me off

Edited by Jack Cahalane

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1368585652' post='2078889']
Isobaric cabs are massive fail, good to ignore them. One good 15 could well cover all the territory your paired cabs did before.
[/quote]

I have a lot to learn it seems, I was under the impression that 15s were only good for lows?

[quote name='Jack Cahalane' timestamp='1368586432' post='2078890']
I have a lot to learn it seems, I was under the impression that 15s were only good for lows?
[/quote]

Anything that classifies sound in inches should be ignored. If you want proper technical info in reasonably easy to read, here: http://barefacedbass.com/technical-information.htm

In short, ignore speaker diameter and avoid mixing various different cabs on one amp.

I use to have a TB 500 and pair it with the Orange OBC115. One of the best amp/cab combinations I ever tried. So much I ended up getting two OBC115's at some point. It's not the lightest cabinet in the world, but definitely one of the best (if not the best) sounding I ever had. Works so well with the TB I think it's worth a little back ache. Ah... And the TB delivers its full power in both 8 or 4 ohms so if where you I would get an 8ohm cabinet in case you wanna use two cabinets to intimidate the guitar players in your band ;)

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1368619144' post='2079215']
I found the Orange OBC115 very dark, kind of the hold up example of why people think 15s are just for low end.
[/quote]
Really? I didn't find it dark at all. I compared it to the OBC410 and thought there was a bit of a low mid bump on the OBC115 that I really liked and thought the 410 was a bit hollow sounding. Lots of bottom end in both cabs, but more defined on the 115 in my opinion and I was positively surprised with the articulation on the 115. Of course I ain't no Marcus Miller wannabe :P

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1368620389' post='2079249']
Think the theme is Orange use drivers for their watt ratings rather than their suitable for electric bass bandwidth.
[/quote]+1. The 115 uses this driver: http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=EMIKAP15A&browsemode=category
While it has a 450 watt thermal rating it will only take 100 watts in the low end before farting out.
And note the price. :o

Well, regardless of the speaker ratings my personal experience with the OBC115 was very positive. Of course people might have different tonal needs, but I reckon someone looking for a more classic bass sound (like assume is the OP's case) should definitely give the TB500 + OBC115 combo a try.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1368621958' post='2079283']
Only one octave away from a sensible bandwidth for electric bass though.
[/quote]It's not the first time a manufacturer chose an inappropriate driver based purely on the thermal power rating and an inexpensive price. That tradition goes all the way back to Leo Fender.

Edited by Bill Fitzmaurice

[quote name='Jack Cahalane' timestamp='1368577172' post='2078868']
Basically what I'm asking is is it safe to use these together, and will I be getting the most out of the head putting it through that cab?
[/quote]

Safe? Definitely. Sound-wise? Surely only your ears can decide that.

All the technical information in the world only helps some of the people some of the time. If your ears tell you that it sounds good, then, for you, it probably does.

Of course, if you understand the tech stuff, you might actually see the truth in it and decide to take notice of it. Not everyone does of course, but it had certainly helped me refine my tone from what it was a few years ago when all I cared about was if i could hear myself... <_<

For me I`d be concentrating more on the amp than the benefits and technicalities of the cab. The OTB is a great amp at what it does, but is rather limited, not the most versatile amp on the market at all. I`d look at trying one out in a music shop through at least 2 or 3 different brands cabs, to see if you like the amp.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1368627101' post='2079413']
For me I`d be concentrating more on the amp than the benefits and technicalities of the cab. The OTB is a great amp at what it does, but is rather limited, not the most versatile amp on the market at all. I`d look at trying one out in a music shop through at least 2 or 3 different brands cabs, to see if you like the amp.
[/quote]

You had a Marshall MB didn't you? How does it compare with the OTB to you?

Yes I`ve had both. The MB was far more versatile, due to the two channels, compressor, boostable gain, and twin-channel blend. Plenty of volume, an all-round under-rated amp in my view - something Marshalls bass amps just seem to get stuck with.

The OTB is great at what it does, but the eq isn`t the most versatile - pretty limited I found. No matter what the settings, it still sounds like an OTB, which of course, if you like that, it`s great. I used a Sansamp with mine to get a bit more flexibility, and it really livened the amp up.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1368654637' post='2079976']
Yes I`ve had both. The MB was far more versatile, due to the two channels, compressor, boostable gain, and twin-channel blend. Plenty of volume, an all-round under-rated amp in my view - something Marshalls bass amps just seem to get stuck with.

The OTB is great at what it does, but the eq isn`t the most versatile - pretty limited I found. No matter what the settings, it still sounds like an OTB, which of course, if you like that, it`s great. I used a Sansamp with mine to get a bit more flexibility, and it really livened the amp up.
[/quote]

The MB is an excellent amp, it's just too big and heavy especially with the extension cabinet. Sounds like the OTB is a bit of a one trick pony then?

Well it is, but that`s not necessarily in a bad way. It has it`s own identity, and sounds great with a Precision. One of the best sound-clips I`ve heard that shows this is Low End Bees band, The Jetsonics, and their song New Romance. Fairly sure he was still using the OTB when it was recorded, and it sounds great.

I used to use my MB with everything at midday on the Classic Channel, and I could get the same sound fairly easily, with bass & treble on full, mids on zero on the OTB. However if I wanted a more modern sound, or a slap-sound (unlikely but possible), at that point the OTB would be found lacking. For full-on straightforward valvey goodness, the OTB is a great amp, in an easy to cart about package.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1368704258' post='2080340']
Well it is, but that`s not necessarily in a bad way. It has it`s own identity, and sounds great with a Precision. One of the best sound-clips I`ve heard that shows this is Low End Bees band, The Jetsonics, and their song New Romance. Fairly sure he was still using the OTB when it was recorded, and it sounds great.

I used to use my MB with everything at midday on the Classic Channel, and I could get the same sound fairly easily, with bass & treble on full, mids on zero on the OTB. However if I wanted a more modern sound, or a slap-sound (unlikely but possible), at that point the OTB would be found lacking. For full-on straightforward valvey goodness, the OTB is a great amp, in an easy to cart about package.
[/quote]

I can't decide now, it's a lot of money to spend just to see if I like it. Maybe an MB450H head and smaller cabinet is the way to go?