Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Squier P Special Fretless with selector switch?

dazza14

I've recently become hooked by my second hand Vintage 'Jaco' lined fretless bass, i'm playing it every chance i get and i'm loving the sounds and playability of the thing.
BUT it's got me wondering how i can combine my new found love for fretless and long-time love for Squier basses...
I watched a YouTube vid about Tony Franklin explaining his Fender sig bass and i likes it. A lot!
I'm now toying with the idea of, when money is available, picking up a cheapo Squier P Special (i know you all know this but it's the one with the split precision pickups and a cheeky jazz bridge pickup) from The Bay, add a fretless neck and then hopefully, if the wiring isn't too difficult, add a selector switch - a la TF sig bass - and voila! a budget version of the Fender bass.
I just like the idea that i could use this bass for more things than my current jazz style fretless. I currently play reggae, ska, country, rock and punk with my jazz and sometimes it lacks a little punch that i think a precision could give me.
Plus also i like the thought of doing this.
I'm a little surprised the Special doesn't come in a fretless version...

Anyway, any tips on this?
Has it been done?
Is it a total headache to do?

I can see the wiring as being the main sticking point, oh and getting a fretless neck that is good but doesn't end up costing a fortune!

Edited by dazza14

Do a Jaco - pull the frets out & fill it :D You could probably do a half reasonable job with tile grout & have the fret lines in whatever colour you like.

I bought a Squier P-bass Special on here at a very reasonable price, intending to use it for a project. However it was such a good bass I hadn't the heart to start messing with it. I'll have to find another donor one day...

Edit: Plus, de-fretting the neck means you still have a matching headstock :)

Edited by Norris

Thats a darn fine point! I actually didn't think of defretting it. I read somewhere that defretted necks are better than fretless ones... um, i can't for the life of me remember why though... :unsure:
I saw a rather nice looking granite coloured bass on ebay with a black s/plate, thought it was really nice and i don't think it sold for very much. Adding the selector switch might be an issue but this website is choc-full of resources and helpful people when it comes to advice.

Feel free to give me a shout if you need help/advice if/when you want to fit a switch ;)

Cheerz, John

PS: Now you've made me want to go play my Jaco B)

Edited by KiOgon

It's 100% absolutely certain that i'll be in touch IF i get the bass for the right money.
I'm thinking it would be a three way switch (Jazz, Jazz/P, P) but i've no idea how these things really work and if actually it would be a five-way switch with different mixes of J/P.
And THATS exactly the reason why i'll be in touch!
Thanks KiOgon

I played a second hand de-fretted Squier P Special in a music shop years ago. It was very light and felt cheap and plasticy but played very very nicely and had a good tone. If you get the Squier cheap on eBay just whip out the frets yourself, or buy a cheap fretless neck from eBay or a parts website.