Why become a member? ×

My first relic..

mikekaperys

I decided I really wanted a reliced bass - I've loved how they look for years, well, heavy reliced ones anyway. Only thing is I could never find a factory reliced one that I really liked, so I decided to make my own. I didn't want to buy a new bass to just relic it, so I actually made my own body and just bought a neck and did it myself.

Spec:
1 piece solid alder body
rosewood on maple squire neck
EMG-P active pups
Badass II bridge
Wilkinson machine heads

What do you guys think? It's my first relic so be nice! :lol:
I've done refurbs before, but only boring flat gloss finishes, never experimented with relicing.

The body and neck are both finished in tru-oil that has been rubbed down with wire wool for the matte effect.
I think I might have over done the back of the neck a little bit, it doesn't quite look realistic, but oh well.

Anyway, heres some photos:

[attachment=134424:DSC_0176.JPG][attachment=134425:DSC_0177.JPG][attachment=134426:DSC_0179.JPG][attachment=134427:DSC_0180.JPG][attachment=134428:DSC_0184.JPG][attachment=134429:DSC_0187.JPG]

I think it needs a fag burn on the headstock. This is how you do it. Light fag, attach to headstock, Walkaway.

See link for illustration.

[url="http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/5079/78cigburn.jpg"]http://img3.imagesha...9/78cigburn.jpg[/url]

Edited by gjones

Looks good! Definitely agree with getting the burn on the headstock.

How does the body look close up after using the wire wool? Can you see the little scratches or is it just like a matt finish?

Edited by OBT1000_S12

[quote name='mikekaperys' timestamp='1368144602' post='2073873']
I'll stick a fag burn on tomorrow then! :)
I dont smoke to the blowtorch will do, haha.

The body looked fine after the wire wool, I rubbed it down with 000 grade so it was really really fine. No scratches or anything, just nice and smooth :)
[/quote]

Nice one I might have a go on one of my basses as its a shiny nitro. Where did you get the wire wool from? Did you do the whole body or just the bits you can see?