Why become a member? ×

Genz Benz Streamliner 600 & Barefaced Super T

silverfoxnik

Hi Folks,

Just thought I'd share this story with you...

Because of a recent house move where I can't store my present rig (Hughes & Kettner Bassbase 600 + SWR Triad) near the front of the house, I decided it was about time I investigated / invested in a lightweight rig..

Though I love the sound of my Triad in particular and have been very happy with the Bassbase head, at over 100lbs in weight collectively, it was no longer going to be possible to stick to my 'old skool heavyweight gear is best' mantra and keep gigging this rig.

So, last weekend WalMan very kindly offered to lend me his GB Streamliner and Barefaced Super T for a gig I was doing, so that I could try out a lightweight rig for myself.. Though I've heard lots of Barefaced cabs and Class D amps at various bass Bashes over the least few years, I'd never had the chance to try any of them out in a proper gigging situation for myself, so I knew this was going to be interesting!

Though thinking back, I remember Alex A/B-ing the Super T next to my Triad at the SE Bash 2 years ago and it sounded pretty impressive to my ears then...

Well, even at home testing the rig out, it sounded fantastic, but at the gig it sounded great too with all my basses - RBV, BC Rich Eagle and Scheter Diamond P5.. I found my sound really quickly and was particularly impressed with the comments I got from the rest of the band, especially our drummer who has never before commented on the sound of my bass rig over the last 7 years of gigs together!! (maybe he just doesn't listen to me :( )

Even our guitarist commented on the rig, and that fact plus the band's absolute amazement when I carried the whole rig out by myself at the end of the night was about as conclusive as it could get!

Anyway, the upshot of all this is that I've now put my Roscoe Beck 5 string up for sale so I can find a suitable lightweight rig for gigs.... I won't have enough cash for this particular rig, but I'm sure I'll find something out there that works for me...

Thanks of course to Walman for the loan of his fab sounding rig! :)

Nik

Hi Nik

If under 40lb is light enough, and you'd like a mint one of [url="http://www.markbass.it/product_detail.php?id=205"]these[/url] with Roqsolid cover, give me a shout. Great stand alone cab and goes loud. I have two and one is more than enough.

Cheers

Gareth

My pleasure Nik :) Sorry if it turned it into a potentially expensive test :blush: I am loving it as a rig. Light. Loud. Sounds marvy.

Now the...about your Roscoe :rolleyes: No I really mustn't. The Wal has come back out of semi retirement and I may revert to 4's for a bit.

Anyhoo ... pint?

[quote name='WalMan' timestamp='1367705748' post='2068693']
My pleasure Nik :) Sorry if it turned it into a potentially expensive test :blush: I am loving it as a rig. Light. Loud. Sounds marvy.

Now the...about your Roscoe :rolleyes: No I really mustn't. The Wal has come back out of semi retirement and I may revert to 4's for a bit.

Anyhoo ... pint?

A pint soon sounds good - perhaps this week sometime? Before my little Op...

I won't bring the RBV with me to tempt you, I promise! :D
[/quote]

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1367749421' post='2068955']
The Aguilar TH500 would sound great with that cab.

I think you should keep thr RB and sell the other basses.
[/quote]

Would if I could Chris, believe me!

Never used an Aguilar head, though I did have the Tonehammer pre for a while and liked that..

I prefer clean so I don't use the drive.

It’s early days, but at the moment I have the controls at 12, the drive off, the master between 10 and 11 (it's loud) and I’m preferring the active Lakland to my passive Lull.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1367753201' post='2069000']
Nick, I've just started gigging with a TH500.

I've never had a band gather around my gear and look at the amp before last night!

They've asked me not to use anything else.
[/quote]

Tried a TH500 with the new Berg CN212 the other last week. Unbelievable.

I have though of one of the Aggie TH's but the Streamliner is doing it for me at the
mo.

[quote name='silverfoxnik' timestamp='1367750396' post='2068968']A pint soon sounds good - perhaps this week sometime? Before my little Op...

I won't bring the RBV with me to tempt you, I promise! :D[/quote] This week is a complete 'mare Nik. London to see Spocks Beard tomorrow (back willing ... an it better had be!!) r/h Wednesday & gig Friday with the possibility of viewing the Hicksvilles in Chi on Thursday. Hope it all goes well matey. Take care & speak soon!

Just to add to this, I offered to let my rig (STM900 and BF '69er) be used as the house rig at a four band event last week. It was played with a Yamaha 5, a Jazz, my Ergon 5 and a P.
I could hear differences due to technique/instrument, but what they all had in common was big clear low end, proper fullness in the low mids and volume to spare. I think they all tweaked the knobs a bit, but generally the mid was boosted and mid and treble pretty flat. Gain boosted and volume at 9!
Lots of very happy bass players, including me :-)