Why become a member? ×

So.....How can I change the core sound of my Warwick Corvette Hot Rod Bass

bagsieblue

I've got a 5 String Warwick Hot Rod, it's a great bass but I'd like to get a different sound (my sound) out of if I could.

It's all maple and has a chambered body so it is very bright sounding.
Ideally I'd like more bottom end from it.

Is the easiest option to try it with a good set of flats?

Cheers - I don't want to really mod the bass and I don't really want to get rid as it is a beautiful and lovely bass to play, fussy bugger eh?

Not familiar with DR Fatbeams, will they give me some more thump as I would hope that flats would?

[quote name='bagsieblue' timestamp='1367669108' post='2068165']
Cheers - I don't want to really mod the bass and I don't really want to get rid as it is a beautiful and lovely bass to play, fussy bugger eh?

Not familiar with DR Fatbeams, will they give me some more thump as I would hope that flats would?
[/quote]

Fat beams may give you a slightly more scooped sound than you're used to. Nice strings, and easy to play due to the round cores, but not the game-changer you're looking for.

I'd have said change the pick-ups and pre- amp. Keep the originals, and at least it's reversible.
Maybe an outboard pre-amp? Tone hammer, EBS, Paradriver etc?

Predictably I'd recommend a B3. If you think of it as less of an FX pedal and more as a plethora of possible pre-amp configurations, you will find many, many tonal options including more earth-shaking low-end than your rig can possibly handle. :)

Update - managed to get some decent tones of of this tonight.
It's the optional passive mid EQ that throws me.
It's very bright so plenty of mid, bit of bass and roll off the treble gives a pleasing sound.
Good news, as it's a great playing and great looking bass.