Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Pickups on CIJ Jazz Bass

Stompbox

There are three grades of pickups used on MIJ/CIJ Jazzes:

1) A very acceptable mass production type that goes on most models.

2) US pickups go on models suffixed 'US'.

3) Models suffixed 'VSP' get a very high quality pickup that is a Jap made boutique-ish version of an American early 60's vintage type - these ones are my fave Jazz pickups. For me they carry more clarity and weight than US Fender pickups and wee all over most after-market types.

Check the nomenclature on this: [url="http://www.fenderjapan.co.jp/products_jazzbass.html"]http://www.fenderjapan.co.jp/products_jazzbass.html[/url]

Cor - I thought it would be a straightforward reply!

Well the guitar was made (crafted), sorry) in Japan, and it was made for sale in the UK - -I bought it from Coda Music as soon as the model came out - so I suppose that makes it an export(?)

It was one that was advertised by Fender as the '62 Jazz Bass reissue, and has serial number V038563 which, I understand, dates it as 1996/1997.

The thing is, I've had DiMarzio Area J pickups fitted, and I have put the originals that were taken out on the Basschat website for sale.

I had a query from a potential buyer as to what the pickups that came out of it are - that's why I'm asking the question on here, so as to give as much info as possible.

It must be admitted that the originals did sound fine & I gigged it for years before having the fit of GAS & going for the "upgrade" - in a band /live gig situation TBH you can't really tell the difference ! :lol:

Cheers

Stompbox.

Even the US pickups are Japanese mind, they just call them US, the only real difference is that the US ones have magnetic poles, whereas the non US ones have ferrous poles in a magnetic plate. Both are equally drab sounding, but replace them and Jap fenders rock!