Why become a member? ×

£1388

pierreganseman

I noticed that all of the mini-switches on the bass are black. They look original, but the back switch (for the treble boost function) should usually be white. The reason I'm mentioning this is that I saw this exact same deviation on an identical bass (sunburst ebony fretless Sabre) for sale in England a couple of months ago. Consequently, it's very likely yours is from the same batch. If the switches are all original, it will simply be a case of MM using whatever they had in stock, which they often did when certain parts were out of stock. For instance, I've seen numerous StingRays with Sabre necks and vice versa.

Do you know whether the switches are original? The reason I'm asking is that identical replacement switches for Sabres are impossible to find, and I'd like to have a stock of spares.

[quote name='Kees_SoS' timestamp='1367507123' post='2066140']
I noticed that all of the mini-switches on the bass are black. They look original, but the back switch (for the treble boost function) should usually be white. The reason I'm mentioning this is that I saw this exact same deviation on an identical bass (sunburst ebony fretless Sabre) for sale in England a couple of months ago. Consequently, it's very likely yours is from the same batch. If the switches are all original, it will simply be a case of MM using whatever they had in stock, which they often did when certain parts were out of stock. For instance, I've seen numerous StingRays with Sabre necks and vice versa.

Do you know whether the switches are original? The reason I'm asking is that identical replacement switches for Sabres are impossible to find, and I'd like to have a stock of spares.
[/quote]

If you are talking about the one that used to be at bassgear.Co.uk . It's the same bass they had. I know Barrie quite well and they shipped it to me.

I really feel this could be done with PM's. Doubting in the open wether this bass is original or not is really not a cool thing to do(even for something as small as a switch. One way or another £1388 is still VERY underpriced compared to shop prices. As I had this bass for a few month, I have no way to check wether the switches are %100 original or not. Do you? then please PM me ...

Last time some one asked on the Thread wether the angle of the strings was normal at the bridge. Then I started getting PM "are you sure this bass is playable?? it really looks weird to me..." From people taking the first chance available to basically shot my thread down.

I have done many transaction without a single problem, have shipped around the world. I am open to discussion on anything regarding "original or not". And so I would be ready to revise any price if any one would end up being right. Still £1388 : underpriced. In the open... not cool...

[quote name='pierreganseman' timestamp='1367504836' post='2066088']
updated
[/quote]
Thanks for adding.
Beautiful sabre for a Groove Knight... ;)
I wish i could see its sunburst better. A front view with natural light would be possible ?

For the "original or not" question, i think we should check neck dates, pots dates, preamp parts and all PreEB elements before asking for a so little detail.
Even if yes on MM Sabre usually there are 2 black switches and a white.
But others main parts are much more important to judge a bass, i think. :)

I apologise if you thought my asking you about the switches was 'uncool'. I certainly was not trying to 'shoot your thread down', and I was somewhat surprised by your reaction. A little precious, if you ask me. After all, I did say I thought the switches looked original and wasn't trying to make any kind of point. I was simply curious about the deviation, as such things are fairly common on pre-EB MMs (which I also said). Moreover, isn't discussion what forums are all about? If you're selling something, you shouldn't have a problem with answering questions about it 'in the open'.

Either way, I agree that your price is very reasonable (I paid more for my fretless Sabre two years ago), so good luck with the sale.

[quote name='pierreganseman' timestamp='1367510815' post='2066233']
If you are talking about the one that used to be at bassgear.Co.uk . It's the same bass they had. I know Barrie quite well and they shipped it to me.

I really feel this could be done with PM's. Doubting in the open wether this bass is original or not is really not a cool thing to do(even for something as small as a switch. One way or another £1388 is still VERY underpriced compared to shop prices. As I had this bass for a few month, I have no way to check wether the switches are %100 original or not. Do you? then please PM me ...

Last time some one asked on the Thread wether the angle of the strings was normal at the bridge. Then I started getting PM "are you sure this bass is playable?? it really looks weird to me..." From people taking the first chance available to basically shot my thread down.

I have done many transaction without a single problem, have shipped around the world. I am open to discussion on anything regarding "original or not". And so I would be ready to revise any price if any one would end up being right. Still £1388 : underpriced. In the open... not cool...
[/quote]

Hey Pierre, Don't worry. This is clearly a gorgeous and obviously original bass at a fantastic price. If a piece of plastic falls off a switch over a 30 plus year lifespan and gets changed with a different colour piece of plastic it makes no difference.

BUMP

Nick