Why become a member? ×

Low action to get that clanky punch tone?

badboy1984

Going to go against the trend and say that I prefer a jazz for clanky tones. Had a Stingray for a while, couldn't get on with it.

As for Flea, don't think he's ever played Status, but he did have a Modulus signature for a while, which was graphite as far as I know. Not an integral part of the sound, though.

[quote name='Ziphoblat' timestamp='1366975171' post='2059677']
Going to go against the trend and say that I prefer a jazz for clanky tones. Had a Stingray for a while, couldn't get on with it.
[/quote]

Well, doesn't everyone know that a P is best for clanky tones ?

I have the opposite problem actually. I'm always being told "too clanky". well hey i like clanky and its a good thing I do because it doesn't matter what bass I play and how its set up I just get clanky. Although a maple fretboard gets a better 'clank' tone in my view. I play a music man with a high action, a Jazz with a low action and a Rockinbetter with a medium action. They all clank! When I've played a P Bass in the past its been clank overload so i stay away.

I would say its probably down to technique and a little bit of driving the input stage of the amp to get the 'highs' singing. Oh and new strings, when they get old they feel like rubber bands to me and they lose all their sparkle (read clank).

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1367013364' post='2060389']
Lower tension strings might help.
[/quote]

Didn't think about this one, but yes! For standard tuning I'd never go heavier than a .105 E string. Though if your action's low you may get more buzz with lighter gauges, so there is a bit of experimenting to find the sweet spot.

[quote name='badboy1984' timestamp='1366902663' post='2058809']
What i mean by clanky punch tone is the flea bass tone. I'm trying to get that tone on my jazz by boosting mids and treble and striking the bass with force but still no clank or that punch i'm looking for.

I got to admit my bass is not low action. Will low action and abit of fret buzz will give me that funky punch tone?
[/quote]

Try lighter strings. I recently put light DR Hi Beam strings on my Jazz and at a gig last night I let a friend try out my bass on a few songs. From out front it sounded very like the sound you describe. Which I'm not actually very keen on - so I'll be going back to my medium gauge rotosounds for a deeper sound. Types of strings and gauges of strings probably have as big an effect on your sound as your bass or amp have.

Also try to just use the bridge pickup with the bass turned up as it will have a punchier sound.

With lighter strings you should be able get a lower action too.

Edited by gjones

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1367013364' post='2060389']
If you are using a jazz. Give more balance towards one pickup(experiment to see what sound you prefer)
[/quote]

Personally always found that both pickups equally works best on a jazz bass with the slight mid-scoop that it creates.

String gauge is another good point, I found that 40-60-80-100 is the perfect for me, just slightly lighter than standard but makes the difference.

Edited by Ziphoblat

One of my favourite players is Doug johns and I really dig is punchy clanky sound so wanted to mimic that on my basic.
So I can tell you that a low setup will help, along with raising the pickup.
I don't use light strings, I'm using balanced set of 105 80 60 45 and don't find it hard to get punch and dig in.

Edited by Prime_BASS

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1366959643' post='2059358']In fact if you can still find it, there's an earlyYoutube video of Flea using a Black Precision bass live and still getting his sound[/quote]

I've watched/heard that video and couldn't disagree more - in fact I've never heard Flea get a Flea sound on any Fender instrument - they sound far too 'polite'. You might recall he went through a period of playing live with an early pink Jazz - and went back to a Modulus not long after - it simply didn't do the job.

The Flea sound is rooted in a Classic Stingray sound with the strings struck hard enough to get some fret clank and with that shimmering treble sound - the Modulus has a slightly pumped up version of the treble. Now I can get something like this sound from my 2010 CLassic Ray fitted with Thomastik flats and the mutes engaged - it is a facet of the bass, which you can remove by playing technique/EQ but is there if you want it.

Back to the OP's question. I have heard a demo of the Digitech overdrive pedal (the dark red one), where with a small amount of drive dialled in, that shimmering treble appears - combine that with hitting the strings hard (to get clank), and new roundwounds (GHS boomers might work - certainly Rotos when they are new) and you may get closer to it with your Jazz. However, you may find it difficult to get it to clank unless you wind up the tone control, in which case other elements of the sound may disappear - i.e you might go more towards Roger Waters/Chris Squire than Flea).

Flea's sound is essentially Stingray/Modulus with aggressive playing technique (most of the time) - that means active bass of the type mentioned. I know he used several other makes for recording, but essentially the Stingray/Modulus covers most until quite recently.

JJ Burnel's sound always seemed to me to be rooted in the clangy P bass sound (ie tone control fully on) boosted perhaps with a little drive - and that sound characteristic being the only real element of bass sound, amplified loudly.

Edited by drTStingray

my jazz bass is active, i have J-Retro install so it gives me that flexibility then a traditional jazz bass with 2 vol and 1 tone. I'm agree with having a stingray it does the sound slightly better and more easier because the bass just sound trebly natural.

Edited by badboy1984

[quote name='badboy1984' timestamp='1367055428' post='2060682']
my jazz bass is active, i have J-Retro install so it gives me that flexibility then a traditional jazz bass with 2 vol and 1 tone.
[/quote]

You could try a drive pedal then - if you think Tim Commerford, he gets a great sound with a Jazz (mind you it's slightly different from that early sound with the Stingray) - but it might get you closer to what you're seeking.

After listening to all the advice I went thru a bunch of testing and i got some clank on my tone but still lacking abit. My jazz bass have pickup and bridge cover but i have remove them all to try playing with different position and end up getting some serious clank, i.e playing only top of the neck position but i also found some useful tone that i always want playing on top of the bridge pickup. My action can go slightly lower for more clank but will play more to see how it goes first.

Those pickup/bridge cover is definite coming off for good now lol.

Interesting that you're having problems getting that punchy clank thing Jazz basses are so renowned for. Every Jazz bass I ever had had that sound. Your bass has the Mexican Vintage Alnico pickups which also are used for the road worn bass. I have them fitted to my Jazz too and have no problem getting the sound you're looking for. I recommend you lower the action and remove any bridge or pickup covers you have so you can really dig in.

This is a Fender road worn with your pickups in it getting the sound you're looking for.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phVcy5E8O74"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phVcy5E8O74[/url]

I cannot recommend enough the Sansamp di box - I have the programmable one and it delivers that great clank when you need it - new strings and a relatively low action can also help but if you really want the sound get the Sansamp!