Why become a member? ×

Gigging to backing tracks

danthevan

[quote name='iconic' timestamp='1366963612' post='2059433']
One of the biggest draws at our local are the 'plastic paddies' as I call them, I won't name them, but they have a really large following up 'ere in Norfolk, always sell outs. I love their music (although it seems there are only a few irish licks) but hate the visuals as do my kids.

....one guys bangs on a tea chest, another tamely strums a guitar and the singer is the star of the show, playing a mean fiddle and sings too, blindingly well indeed to be fair....but [i]every[/i] song has a backing track driven by a laptop.

It was bit strange when I 1st saw them, such a big sound for a 3 piece....I'd had a few cyders too! I thought "tight bass player" but couldn't see a bass player but "where is he hiding?"... then thought where is the drummer and where are the keyboards etc.

I looked round and honestly I think if the band removed their strings and sat on their tea chest the crowd wouldn't notice after 20 mins!

As I said they are THE biggest draw with the punters, everyones up and dancing, and bums on seats for those who don't, pricey tickets, got to hand it them it seems to work very well for them & pays, but I can put 50p in the jukebox if I want to hear recorded music...seems a bit moody to me?
[/quote]

Yes, I'd feel a bit cheated on a local level, for sure.

I understand bands like Muse flying in sequences altho now they have a 4th member mostly on stage these days
but live is LIVE, IMO.
If the music is the key focus of the show, then play it for real.

Edited by JTUK

When I started playing there were no 'backing tracks' other than what could be dumped onto a cassette tape and there certainly weren't any local bands using them.

I accept that things have moved on but I'm firmly keeping my feet planted in the past on this one. :)

I do a lot of work for a party band and we have the whole set on track. Extra percussion, key parts, brass, synths, backing vocals, everything! It sounds huge! This way you can also time the sets to the second. Even the chatting parts in-between songs are to a click.

The only person that needs to worry about the click is the drummer. If he's in time, then the band is in time. It helps a four-piece band sound like a 10 piece and also helps when it comes to sharing out the money!

Can't see the point in just doing it for one or two songs, may as well design a whole set to a click.

Truckstop

I've been to a couple of weddings taht used the same band. A 4 piece (Drums, Bass, guitar & vocals) & everything apart from the vocals was a backing track (probably Karaoke tracks).

They put on a good show for those who don't know anything about playing music, but to watch the rest of the band mime from a musician's POV was a bit of a "Oh dear, why not get a DJ" moment (though they did play like they was playing the song).