Why become a member? ×

thoughts on ground wound/half round/pressure wound strings?

Smythe

Hello fellow BC'er's,

In the last year or so, I've been using flatwound strings on both my 5 string and fretless bass and become very accustomed to them, I recently used my 4 string bass at a gig that has set of fairly fresh round wounds on them and didn't enjoy the experience much. they lacked the thump and meatiness I've been used to when using flats and they felt a little feeble under the fingers.

I was wondering if anyone had tried out using half rounds and what peoples views were on them as i have only tried round wound and flats and I'm curious about this type of string?

Also how do pressure wounds sound/feel?

thanks

Smythe

Huge variety here - Roto's are almost roundwounds with a little of the edge taken off whereas Status and D'addario are closer to flatwounds with a completely flat surface.

I was using Roto's as I liked the extra bit of grunt I got from them having found the Status ones a little too tame (however, many on here love them). I have now switched to Picato which are as cheap as the Status but to my ears a bit brighter (which, although I haven't ried them, I understand the D'addario's also are).

If you want to know about half rounds ask Milty he's got them on his bass and he's done a review on youtube. I'm about to put them on my fretless hopefully by the end of next week *fingers crossed* so will be able to answer properly then

I use GHS brite flats which are ground wound...they are really great sounding strings but to my ears the sound of them drops off a cliff after about a month, at which time they become a little lifeless and muted resonance wise....

I am def still trying to find the perfect string for me, there are just so many!

I've got Roto pressure wounds on my fretless, the are a bit rougher than I initially expected bug as somebody said the rotosound ones are close to rounds than other brands. In terms of sound though they basically sound like a cross between rounds and flats, as you would expect!

The D'addario Half Rounds I used sounded pretty much like flats; I couldn't detect a tone of both flat and wound. But the feel was scratchy, as if they had been unevenly machined. Nicely priced, but I wouldn't recommend them. I use roundwounds only now, and when I want a thicker or heavier tone, I play at the end of the fretboard -- it makes a noticeable difference in tone.

[quote name='Wylie' timestamp='1366636623' post='2055201']
The D'addario Half Rounds I used sounded pretty much like flats; I couldn't detect a tone of both flat and wound. But the feel was scratchy, as if they had been unevenly machined. Nicely priced, but I wouldn't recommend them. I use roundwounds only now, and when I want a thicker or heavier tone, I play at the end of the fretboard -- it makes a noticeable difference in tone.
[/quote]

I hope that's not true for everyone because I've just bought a set of these

Thanks for the replies fella's

But my mind is made up,..... I'm going to stick with D'Addario Chromes. Its what i have on my 5 string and I've gotten so used to them now they are played in a bit, to me; it doesn't feel right playing roundwounds. They're getting better with age too (about 15month old now) . They've lost their friction and got a nice patina on their tone . I was a bit wary about how slap and pop would sound with Chromes also, but after some experimenting i really like the tone you get, Fat, thumpy slaps and punchy but not too trebly pops! They're such a great flatwound for fretted basses.

Smythe

Edited by Smythe

• 2 weeks later...

the Chromes are on my 4 string now (Lakland Skyline 44-02) and they sound exquisite, i forgot how bright these are straight out the packet, but even so, they still have that low end warm depth most bassists drool over! Ive been rubbing them frantically with an old cotton tshirt to try and get rid of that tacky/sticky feeling they have as new, and funnily enough it seems to be working, it took a good few months for it to disipate off just playing alone on my other set.

Edited by Smythe

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1366572997' post='2054338']
I have GHS Pressurewounds on my P bass, and they are a great mix of flat and round.
[/quote]

I have them on my PJ, they're really good strings

Edited by Jack Cahalane