Why become a member? ×

My first public performance...yikes!!

Wooks

practice lots beforehand. untill you know you can go out anywhere and nail that piece perfect.
go out there and nail it.
when it goes wrong, or your timing goes out a bit or you hit a wrong note, keep a straight face and just keep going- it doesnt matter!

[quote name='Galilee' post='209415' date='May 30 2008, 09:48 AM']I'll be the heretic then, I say get pi55ed and go mental. Make them force you off stage after 45 minutes of ham-fisted bass soloing and dodgy dancing. If you feel like you're losing them at any point, just get your willy out.[/quote]

Ha ha ha excellent!

If only I didn't have to drive to our gigs.....!

I slightly disagree with some of the stuff here, I would personally say the more you think about it, and prepare, and run it round in your head, the more your nerves can get the better of you and you'll suddenly be thinking "what if that's not the right note there?" or "do I look stupid" or whatever.

I find that if I just smile, keep an occasional eye on the other guys on stage and above all look like i'm enjoying myself, then there's nothing to be worried about, the only people that will really notice any mistake you make will be the guys in the band, and yourself, just pretend like they didn't happen. :)

[quote name='allighatt0r' post='209696' date='May 30 2008, 03:42 PM']I slightly disagree with some of the stuff here, I would personally say the more you think about it, and prepare, and run it round in your head, the more your nerves can get the better of you and you'll suddenly be thinking "what if that's not the right note there?" or "do I look stupid" or whatever.

I find that if I just smile, keep an occasional eye on the other guys on stage and above all look like i'm enjoying myself, then there's nothing to be worried about, the only people that will really notice any mistake you make will be the guys in the band, and yourself, just pretend like they didn't happen. :)[/quote]
Ain't no band mates to back me up I'm afraid...got to go solo for this gig. Just me, my new baby, (RKS ABass), and a backing track and the glare of the spotlight...eeekss!!

[quote name='Wooks' post='209726' date='May 30 2008, 04:24 PM']Ain't no band mates to back me up I'm afraid...got to go solo for this gig. Just me, my new baby, (RKS ABass), and a backing track and the glare of the spotlight...eeekss!![/quote]
That's how I imagined you'd be doing it. Don't stress you'll be fine. Just practice standing up as others have said. You'll go up there and it'll be over before you know it.... then you'll be craving for more. :)

[quote name='Galilee' post='209415' date='May 30 2008, 09:48 AM']If you feel like you're losing them at any point, just get your willy out.[/quote]

:) :huh: You could always just get your willy out right at the start, then no one will notice what the hell you are playing. ( As long as it's not your willy!!)

[font="Century Gothic"][/font][b][/b][size="4"][/size] Hey ! :)

My first performance was at the tender age of 14..

At first i was pretty scared, but my guitarist shoved me on stage first - his idea of overcoming pre-gig nerves. We were opening for a rockband, as part of a festival. We played Dani California [RHCP], Beer [Reel Big Fish], Johnny B.Goode [Chuck B.] and Creepin' up the backstairs [The Fratellis].. I stood head-down, much like John Entwistle (if i could ever, ever compare myself to him) for the first song. But then got really into it.. Yeah, we sucked.. But it was a great first experience, so jus' go out there and enjoy yourself !

:huh:

my first time to play was horrible. i was borrowing a kids base. had been playing for 2 days... and then the other base player showed me the frets to play and set me out on stage. i sounded like crep but everyone was like wow.. i couldnt hear you.. i had turned the base amp off instead of on...... lol funny ey. no worries atleast you have some time to practice before your first gig.

[quote name='ashevans09' post='210304' date='May 31 2008, 11:08 PM']Didn't go before a 2 hour gig once...eugh. Was not pleasant.[/quote]

At one gig a couple of years ago, in between the 2nd and 3rd sets I told the bandleader I needed to go take care of business in the bathroom - and to stall the crowd if I was slightly late getting back. I returned to the stage to hear him finish telling the crowd I was taking a sh*t.

I just laughed. What I should have done is ruffle his hair while saying to the crowd: "I didn't wash my hands".

[quote name='trent900' post='209140' date='May 29 2008, 08:31 PM']+1 for trying to relax. Try to look like you're enjoying it - move around and so on - and it's more likely that you will.

Also, if you'll be standing in the performance, practice standing and the same if you'll be sitting. I find it makes a surprising difference...[/quote]

+1 for standing up
+1 for relax (if you can!)
but most of all - have fun! I still remember how great I felt at my first gig (in 1982!)

[quote name='Wooks' post='209726' date='May 30 2008, 04:24 PM']Ain't no band mates to back me up I'm afraid...got to go solo for this gig. Just me, my new baby, (RKS ABass), and a backing track and the glare of the spotlight...eeekss!![/quote]

Well by now you will have done your peformance, so how did it go?

I posted a very similar thread about a year ago so I sort of know how you feel. That was a band situation though, your solo performance seems much more daunting. In fact even though I've probably notched up 40 or so gigs since that post I'd still think twice about going up there on my own! However it went, full respect to you for doing it.

[quote name='elom' post='210877' date='Jun 2 2008, 12:17 AM']Well by now you will have done your peformance, so how did it go?

I posted a very similar thread about a year ago so I sort of know how you feel. That was a band situation though, your solo performance seems much more daunting. In fact even though I've probably notched up 40 or so gigs since that post I'd still think twice about going up there on my own! However it went, full respect to you for doing it.[/quote]
Thanks mate I appreciate your kind words!!
Well the moment came and went in a flash. I don't know whether it was nerves or just not having the time to set things properly which was out of my hands I couldn't hear my backing track very well so I slightly missed the start which kinda through me, but I got back into the groove and it went fairly well. Until the end which I normally stuff up anyway so over all it went as well as can be expected for my level of expertise or should that be lack of.... :huh:
My wife said she thought that it was one of middling performances from all of the ones she has heard me do....and she's heard a fair few I can tell you!! :) :huh: She gave me a 7.5 out of ten which was kind of her I thought it was more like a 4.5 but maybe I was being too critical. But to say I've only been learning for around 8 months I think I did OK!! But I did enjoy the experience, butI think I'm a long way off playing Wembley Stadium but I've got the music school's Christmas concert to look forward to and prepare for!!
Any ideas of good Chrimbo tracks to do?? I was thinking something corny like Slade or Wizzard......any other suggestions?
Thanks to everybody that posted their thoughts and support I really appreciated you all taking the time to offer your advice. So a huge THANKS!!!!
Sy