Why become a member? ×

WEM Dominator MkII

Pow_22

Have a chance of trying one of these out this weekend. Been after a small valve combo for a while so hopefully ill fall in love and we'll both live happily ever after etc etc. Anyone tried one of these as a bass amp at all? Most google searches just throw up 6 stringers going on about them.

I think the bass version was just an ordinary Dominator with a 15" speaker instead of a 12".

I used to have a Power Musette MkII, which is basically a Dominator MkIII with a different speaker.
Playing a bass through it was only any good for very low volume - did sound nice though. But guitar is what it really did best IMO. Lovely tone, and that gorgeous natural break up when you push it. The problem I found was that to get that just-breaking-up sound it had to be really cranked, and although it's only 15Watts it's very loud - far too loud for noodling at home. And it's not exactly small...

It's gone to a good home with another BC'er on the South coast now, but I do sometimes wish I'd kept it...

Some good Watkins info at http://www.vintagehofner.co.uk/britamps/watkins.html

SurfGuy13 is very knowledgeable on these things as I think he has a number of them. Hopefully he'll chime in or you could send him a PM..

I think the standard issue 15" would be a 50w Celestion g15c 'spider frame' driver which has a lovely oldskool warmth to it when driven with an appropriate amplifier.

Cheers for the replies. Went down with my P bass on saturday to try it out. It is VERY tatty with about 50 years worth of dust on both the outside and inside. Anyway, it still works find if a little crackly. Think this is the bass version - whilst it dosent say ''bass'' anywhere on it it is loaded with the 15" celestion as VtypeV4 mentioned. Sounds lovely when driven and came with a Mullard ECC83 and 2 x ECL82 power valves (aparentrly they are half power/half pre). Did some haggling and he took my old Hartke 15w combo and £50 for the amp. Will post picks once i get it cleaned up and stick some spare chickenheads on it.

[quote name='Pow_22' timestamp='1366612861' post='2054724']
.... and stick some spare chickenheads on it.
[/quote]

NOOOOO!!!

Not the chickenheads, not on a Dommie for God's sake.

[url="http://www.vintagehofner.co.uk/britamps/watkins/dominator/dom2.html"]http://www.vintagehofner.co.uk/britamps/watkins/dominator/dom2.html[/url]