Why become a member? ×

Eating Humble Pie...Serious help now needed.

Jazzneck

Back in 2002 I bought a new Korg PX4B at a promotional event in the US for $25.
When I got home I threw it in the bottom drawer wondering why the heck I got it for as I have a preference for a good 4 string with flats, Ampeg valves and no effects.
Last week I decided that I needed more serious practise as there is new music on the horizon and I wanted a drum beat to play along with so for the first time out comes Pandoras Box.
Being a lazy git I plugged into the nearest amp - an Epi Valve Jr. using my bitsa PBass and the Korg.
I selected the "Motown" preset and off I went, amp volume set at 8 o'clock.
Bl**dy H*ll - it's nearly as good as the Portaflex or V4BH and I can play at low volume so Mrs.Jazzneck is happy.
At last I can practise at home with a sound which is very similar to what I try to get live.
Oh, the wasted years......................

Edited by Jazzneck

Yup, it's a handy little piece of kit. I wasn't so interested with the amp modelling than the chorus / flanger sounds which are really nice.

I part exchanged mine in the end because it's a bit fiddly and got a Korg multieffects pedal thingy instead although I don't use it very often.

In general I`ve always been a bass into amp kind of player. However recently, after a recommendation from Discreet, I bought a Zoom B3.

And am converted, this little box is now going to be a constant in my set-up. I only use it to get my amp on the amp-modelling (in case of provided rigs/DI-ing etc) plus a bit of compression, and the tuner, but it`s now invaluable.

I was up for a B3 but when I went into my local shop, they had none, but did have the B9-1Ut for a bargain price, a bit bigger (understatement) but I love it, and it had a the expression pedal which is handy for volume if nothing else. I get a lovely valve growl now, brilliant!

I held off on getting a Korg Pandora for years , and since eventually caving in and getting one my amp at home is gathering dust . They are very handy for recording yourself playing on to a computer too . Amazingly good and very useful piece of kit for very little money .

I have a PX4-D. Great piece of kit. Use mine for practice with decent headphones daily.
SO much better than even a practice amp in a domestic environment.
Ruthlessly exposes all your playing faults, too. When you go back to loudspeakers, any vices you may have had are all but inaudible.

[quote name='Jazzneck' timestamp='1366114995' post='2048440']
I've just had an idea :secret: .

I'm contacting Korg this afternoon............
[/quote]

Question to Korg.........

Hi, I have had KORG PX4B since 2002 and have recently been using it as a practise tool through a small valve amplifier.
I only use one sound setting (MOTOWN) and various rhythms to play along with.
I've always been a bass, lead, amp man but on Sunday morning I tried the Korg PX4B through my main gigging rig, voila, I had the sound I have been looking for for years. Today I tried the set-up in a full band rehearsal and it was superb.
I have an idea......................
Now for the question - I find that the box, leads, power supply etc. are very fiddly and get in the way.
As I only wish to use this one setting, MOTOWN, I'm wondering if there is a way I can build into my bass guitar a circuit/chip/preamp type thingy that can be loaded solely with this MOTOWN preset.
My ideal would to have only this preset patch (all other features in the PX4B are redundant as far as I'm concerned and I do not want un-needed kit to worry about) built into my bass circuit directly inside the guitar so that I retain the bass/lead/amp set up for gigs, but have the signal/sound of Korg MOTOWN.
It must be possible?
How can I do it?
Can you help, please?

Answer from Korg..........

Thank you for your enquiry.

Unfortunately we do not produce custom made products so unless you were planning on stripping the PX4B's guts and installing them into your bass, there is no other way of achieving that.

We cannot offer much advice on how to make this happen either as we are unable to offer support for modifications to our products but if you are determine enough to achieve that, everything is possible.

Best regards,

OK - as Korg won't do it, is there any super technical guy out there that can do this for me, please?

Many thanks in anticipation.......

Edited by Jazzneck