Why become a member? ×

Basitar

BetaFunk

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1365769636' post='2044196']
He would file down the unused nut slots (as it improves the tone), add a "possibly Gibson" humbucker and slap a coat of bee oil on it (thought - wonder if he is responsible for the devastating decline in the world bee population?)
[/quote]
Don't laugh but i have actually got a bit (o.k. a lot!!!) of fine tuning to do and filing the nut slots of one of them!

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1365769636' post='2044196']
...wonder if he is responsible for the devastating decline in the world bee population?)
[/quote]

He's certainly responsible for the devastating decline in the world's decent guitar population.

[quote name='TheRev' timestamp='1365773094' post='2044296']
This is what you do with one of those:

[media]http://youtu.be/985JGeGq_tc[/media]
[/quote]
Yes Mark Sandman was my inspiration for my Basitar.

My next project is to convert a short scale bass into a 2-String Bass. The Sandberg version is rather lovely but i'm looking for 'cheap' rather than quality!

This is my Basitar build blog:

I took a perfectly usable six string electric guitar and removed all the strings. Closing my eyes i (slightly) altered the body shape with my chainsaw to give it a more rounded look. I then removed the control knobs and fitted some custom ones that i found somewhere in my shed. I think they were originally on an old wardrobe.
I then filed the nut with an industrial rasp so the strings were within a nadgers doo-dah off the frets which i dressed with floor sanding grade abrasive paper. The fretboard was then liberally oiled with recycled chip oil as i find this helps your fingers stick to the fretboard during those slow and sometimes difficult solos. I'm sure we've all been there. Next the strings. Not sure of the gauges (as they came from the dustbins around the back of Abbey Road studios) but are very thick. That's the tanning studio near me where Terry the Dustman lives above the chip shop, hence my never ending supply of chip oil. Unless of course Terry is evicted.
Next my attention was focused on the bridge. I found the ideal bridge on freecycle but unfortunately it was in Bognor. Sadly it was a bridge too far so i settled on a high quality unknown brand custom one of Chinese manufacture. I sourced the pickups from a old guitar that Terry found on his round and despite them being left out in the rain for a few days definitely add that classic 60s vibe. I alway like to add my own stamp on my creations so i made a new scratchplate from an old kitchen cupboard. I think that the white melamine really stands out even if it does have a few tea stains on it.
Well that's it really. Only one more thing to do and that's plug it in and give it a strum. Here goes. Oh, it's gone very dark and the lights have all gone out. I think i'll have to give Terry a call and see if he knows an electrician.

Edited by BetaFunk