Why become a member? ×

Rockabilly Slap Bass

thunderbird13

I’m interested in learning this technique after watching the Lee Rocker DVD but I have a few questions :

Can anyone point me in the direction of good examples of this style of playing so I can hear how it fits into a band context. One of the difficulties I have of listening to this technique is that I imagine that when it’s done well it’s hard to hear when the bass stops and the drums begin
Is it normal to slap all the way through a song or is it more used as an effect during a solo or a middle 8.
And if you do slap for some of the song and then play pizz for the rest how do you control the volume levels ?

Apart from a high action is there anything else to change on the bass set up

I’d appreciate some help on this , although I’m sure I have a whole load more questions :lol:

That's Alright Mama and Blue Moon of Kentucky by Elvis have no drums on them, just Bill Black slapping.

http://youtu.be/yWgprZu4Hk4

http://youtu.be/6AAOM-BRxcg

Check out Mark Winchester's playing with Brian Setzer (The Orchestra and 68 Comeback Special) too. I saw him live, just amazing!

[quote name='thunderbird13' timestamp='1365679600' post='2042713']
I’m interested in learning this technique after watching the Lee Rocker DVD
[/quote]

Is the DVD useful at all? I've been looking at it. I love Lee's playing and hugely admire anyone who does that double slap technique but I could never find a teacher who played that style. Huge rockabilly fan but I don't play that style myself

I mostly play just with a single singer/guitarist (although that's a bunch of different people depending on the gig) so I slap whenever I think a tune needs extra rhythm, the sort of tune where people might be dancing. It's also useful for picking up a stronger beat during a tune to drive it along a bit and make things rowdier.

So sometimes I'll slap all the way through, sometimes I'll slap from the second verse, sometimes in the final chorus, wherever I think a bit of testosterone would improve matters, basically. Remember though you're not soloing, you really need to provide a good backbeat and not deviate too much especially during the vocals. Keep it simple and steady.

As for volume considerations, I'm usually picking the bass pretty hard anyway so there's not much in it. If I start slapping the guitarist will get louder too so it's not a big deal. I also use a sort of half-way technique where I'll pluck a string fairly normally with my fingers still pointing at the bridge, but I'll move my hand further away as I pluck so I can slap back down before the next note. It's a similar effect to the slapping style with your fingers perpendicular to the strings but you get more control over the volume and because you don't have to change your technique at all you can switch in slap playing for little embellishments here and there without any effort.

The bass players in the following bands.... spend some time on Youtube....
Wayne Hancock (Wayne the train)
BR549
Big Sandy and the FlyRite Boys
Hank III
Reverend Horton Heat
Bill Haley and the Comets.
Johnny Burnette Trio
High Noon
Hillbilly Hellcats
Willie Dixon
Milt Hinton (the Judge)

There's hundreds of others.

Edited by MartyForrer

[quote name='BurritoBass' timestamp='1365701962' post='2043262']
Is the DVD useful at all? I've been looking at it. I love Lee's playing and hugely admire anyone who does that double slap technique but I could never find a teacher who played that style. Huge rockabilly fan but I don't play that style myself
[/quote]

Well its all on you tube so you can judge for yourself - not sure how happy Lee is about that ! :lol:

The basics of the double slap arent really that difficult , personally I find it a lot easier than slapping an EB not triple slap thats a whole different matter :lol:

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1365715173' post='2043519']
I mostly play just with a single singer/guitarist (although that's a bunch of different people depending on the gig) so I slap whenever I think a tune needs extra rhythm, the sort of tune where people might be dancing. It's also useful for picking up a stronger beat during a tune to drive it along a bit and make things rowdier.

So sometimes I'll slap all the way through, sometimes I'll slap from the second verse, sometimes in the final chorus, wherever I think a bit of testosterone would improve matters, basically. Remember though you're not soloing, you really need to provide a good backbeat and not deviate too much especially during the vocals. Keep it simple and steady.

As for volume considerations, I'm usually picking the bass pretty hard anyway so there's not much in it. If I start slapping the guitarist will get louder too so it's not a big deal. I also use a sort of half-way technique where I'll pluck a string fairly normally with my fingers still pointing at the bridge, but I'll move my hand further away as I pluck so I can slap back down before the next note. It's a similar effect to the slapping style with your fingers perpendicular to the strings but you get more control over the volume and because you don't have to change your technique at all you can switch in slap playing for little embellishments here and there without any effort.
[/quote]

Thanks thats really useful I'll try that technique and see if I can control the volume - do you play throough a compressor when doing this ?

[quote name='MartyForrer' timestamp='1365738432' post='2043723']
The bass players in the following bands.... spend some time on Youtube....
Wayne Hancock (Wayne the train)
BR549
Big Sandy and the FlyRite Boys
Hank III
Reverend Horton Heat
Bill Haley and the Comets.
Johnny Burnette Trio
High Noon
Hillbilly Hellcats
Willie Dixon
Milt Hinton (the Judge)

There's hundreds of others.
[/quote]

Thanks I'll check these out

[quote name='zero9' timestamp='1365767952' post='2044159']
For a more contemporary example, check out Imelda May. Her bassist is a fantastic slap player.
[/quote]

Found out lately he used to play with the fab 'King Biscuit and the Biscuit Boys' (or some name like that). Saw them many times at the Edinburgh festival. :)

[quote name='thunderbird13' timestamp='1365755735' post='2043841']
Thanks thats really useful I'll try that technique and see if I can control the volume - do you play throough a compressor when doing this ?
[/quote]

No I don't have a compressor in my signal path these days. I use a contact mic rather than a piezo so anything that sounds good acoustically sounds pretty much the same amplified.

Basically instead of plucking towards your body and stopping against the next string you're plucking more in a direction that's away from the bass, so you're still plucking with the side of your finger sort-of but it gives you the opportunity to slap back afterwards.

[quote name='keeponehandloose' timestamp='1365777038' post='2044385']
if uour in Edinborough go to the Spiders Web on
Morrison St, rockabilly bands monthly, you wont get more up close and personal than there if you want to see how its done.
[/quote]

Alas it's an age since I've lived there. What a great town. :)

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='fatback' timestamp='1365773403' post='2044304']
Found out lately he used to play with the fab 'King Biscuit and the Biscuit Boys' (or some name like that). [/quote]

Imelda's bassist is Al Gare... you were close with the name.. King Pleasure and the Biscuit Boys.

I notice that the Hotclub of Cowtown are touring the UK in October... Jake Erwin is a phenomenal player - worth a look if they play near you!

Is it normal to slap all the way through a song or is it more used as an effect during a solo or a middle 8.
[/quote]

For me it depends on the song, or the style of music you're playing. Flat out rockabilly, I'd slap all the way through, but on other stuff I might just slap to add emphasis here and there

And if you do slap for some of the song and then play pizz for the rest how do you control the volume levels ?
[/quote]

Same as you might on a bass guitar - by adjusting your own technique to play certain bits louder or faster to suit. My setup provides an equally loud volume for both styles, so I don't find it an issue.

Apart from a high action is there anything else to change on the bass set up
[/quote]

High action is fine for some, but don't think it HAS to be high. I find that, with a high action, you get a loud acoustic volume, but it can be quite an effort to play hard... my action is really low compared to many, and so I can slap faster with much less physical effort. I'm not bothered about the acoustic volume from the bass... the amp does that bit.

Edited by invicta59

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='ChrisF' timestamp='1368301804' post='2075547']
For those who are interested.... Katmen are on Jools Holland on Tuesday, BBC2, 10pm.
[/quote]

Yep, they sure were :)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sN3XXoIleWM&feature=youtu.be[/media]

I was waiting for this one for a while. Superb live band and great album